Family history - Gnaccarini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AlbertG

Family history - Gnaccarini

Post by AlbertG »

I am looking for information and descendants of Agostino Gnaccarini (1858 - 1916). Agostino was a singer (baritone) of some renown in he early part of the 20th century and performed at various venues across Europe. There are photographic records of Agostino in a number of archives in Italy (some of which I have copies of), two recordings of his voice and he even has a video posted on YouTube!

So far, from records my father kept, I can work out that he was my great great great grandfather.

Agostino married (Giovanna) and had five children (Emma, Geltrude, Maria, Carol, Luigi and Paolo). I am a descendant of the Carlo branch on the family tree in this generation.

As was the tradition, the family names were repeated down the generations. Carlo married (Sofia Cavazza) and they had three children (Amelia, Agostino and Enrica). I am a descendant of the Agostino branch here.

Agostino married (Maria Rossi) who bore three children (Luigi, Carlo and Alberta). It is the Carlo in this generation who was my grandfather.

Carlo married (Natalia Stepancic) and had two children (Silvano (29:07:1926) and Carlo). Silvano was my father and Carlo, my uncle.

Silvano married (Bruna Corazzin) and had two children (Carlo and Alberto) in Italy before he emigrated to Australia (1957) where he and Bruna had a daughter (Ornella).

Any information would be greatly appreciated as would hints on how to trace my family history.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Family history - Gnaccarini

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Sound like you already have way more information on your ancestry than probably 98% of us can even hope to achieve! :)

Do you know where in Italy the family was located?
AlbertG

Post by AlbertG »

I wouldn't be so certain of that.

The trouble is that the names Agostino and Carlo are repeated several times over the generations. I haven't been able to get a definitive set of birth dates and death dates for most of them so far.

I know for certain that Agostino (the baritone) died in 1916.

I also know that we have some noble blood in the family. I have some correspondence from a Conte Pietro Gnaccarini and a family coat of arms which has two doves holding olive branches and a pair of castanets on it under a crown with nine stones on it (Italian heraldry confirms this as the mark of a Count). The castanets seems right too since the vulgar Italian term for castanets is "gnacchare" which is close enough to lean me towards some conclusion.

Either way, the family hails from around Bologna although my grandfather moved to Gorizia in the early 1920s I think and that's where my father was born.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Did Silvano naturalize in Australia? If so, then the records will most likely indicate his exact place of birth. Possibly look here for info.

If you can figure out Silvano's place of birth, you write to that comune and request his "Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita" (basically, his birth certificate). This will state his father's given name and mother's maiden name; write back to the comune and request their birth certificates, and so on.

[pause]

Actually, check this out. I think you are going to be pleased! First page is below; there are 20 pages in all; page 18 is Bruna's Italian birth certificate. Pages 14-17 are "Situazione de Famiglia" issued by Comune di San Vito al Tagliamento - apparently Silvano was born in Gorizia, then moved to San Vito where he married and the children were born. Page 20 includes a photo of Bruna and the two children. Silvano's photo is on page 7.

[image removed to save space - johnny]
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Actually, You may want to request "Copia integrale (fotocopia) di Atto Di Nascita per motivo personale" (someone help me out with the correct name, please). This will have more information on it and may include the birthplaces of the parents; the estratto will only have the parent's names.

On the other hand, it will be handwritten and in Italiano, thus more difficult to decipher...

For Comune di Gorizia (http://www1.comune.gorizia.it/ufficinew ... scita.html), write to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Gorizia
Piazza Municipio, 1
34170 Gorizia (CO)
Italy
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

On this page, "Gnaccarini, Agostino (1858 - 5.1916 Bologna)"

A photo can be found at Comune di Bologna's website.

This page might lead me to believe that he was actually born in San Pietro Capofiume, a frazione of Comune di Molinella in the northeast of Bologna province.

You may want to write for birth/marriage/death certificates:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Molinella
Piazza A. Martoni 1,
40062 Molinella (BO)
Italy

You could try an email first, comune@comune.molinella.bo.it

Ask for Copia integrale dell'atto di nascita, Copia integrale dell'atto di matrimonio, and Copia integrale dell'atto di morte

-or -

Estratto dell'atto di nascita, Estratto dell'atto di matrimonio, and Estratto dell'atto di morte