NARA NonExistence Website?! Where?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Rastafeyd

NARA NonExistence Website?! Where?

Post by Rastafeyd »

I made a request from NARA to undergo a search for my GG Grandfather's naturalization records. They didn't come up with anything. I've searched through the NARA website, but have been unable to find any information on ordering a Certificate of Nonexistence of a Record. I'm assuming it goes by the same name as USCIS, but I don't know. A link or any information would be very helpful! Thanks!

Mike
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: NARA NonExistence Website?! Where?

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Rastafeyd wrote:I made a request from NARA to undergo a search for my GG Grandfather's naturalization records. They didn't come up with anything. I've searched through the NARA website, but have been unable to find any information on ordering a Certificate of Nonexistence of a Record. I'm assuming it goes by the same name as USCIS, but I don't know. A link or any information would be very helpful! Thanks!

Mike
Mike, please be aware that NARA does not hold records of all naturalizations but typically only those which occured in a federal court. The reality is that most US naturalizations up through the WWII era took place in state and county courts and NARA holds few of these records.

When and where was your ancestor living at the time he may have naturalized? In the case of both my paternal and maternal grandfather, I obtained copies of naturalization documents from the Westchester County, NY Archives after being directed to check tere by a NARA archivist.

To order an Index Search directly from USCIS (the official holder of all naturalization records from 1906 on), go to this site. If the Index Search is fruitful, you then procede with a Records Request.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:Research this at www.icapbridging2worlds.com/naturalizationrecords.aspx

=Peter=
Peter - appears to be a dead or bad link.

Carmine
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Its a commercial site so go thru Google.com and put in title "NARA non existence of records" for access. =Peter=
~Peter~
Rastafeyd

Post by Rastafeyd »

Thanks for your answers everyone. I have completed the USCIS index search and received the naturalization application my GGGF filled out crica 1940. However, the naturalization was never completed by my GGGF, so I don't have any other documents except the application. He died a few years later without naturalizing.
Because he did not naturalize, as far as I know, I was under the impression that I would need to make inquiries, searches and collect documents from USCIS, NARA, state archives and local courts to show that he never naturalized in those places or that he did and collect those documents. I've sent out a letter to USCIS requesting a Certificate of Nonexistence of Record. I also made an online request to undergo a search from NARA, but they did not come across any documents. Hence, I was trying to find an address or a link that detailed the process for requesting some kind of Certificate of Nonexistence of Record from NARA. It would seem, that just printing out the e-mail I received from NARA would not be enough for the consulate. Sorry, if my previous post was confusing. I hope the details I've provided this time make it more comprehensible.

Mike
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Ah, I see.

When I received an email from NARA (a few years ago) stating that they could not find records, the archivist's name and direct telephone number were givin in the signature block. I would suggest you call and ask for advice.
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks Livio! =Peter=
~Peter~
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Mike,

I had other questions for NARA and found they would answer their telephone: 1-866-272-6272. Worth a try.

Good luck,
Jerry
Rastafeyd

Post by Rastafeyd »

That's great! Thank you so much.