Caputo/Caputi Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LBIKate

Caputo/Caputi Family

Post by LBIKate »

Trying to locate info on my Fathers side of the family from Oliveto Lucano. I was never fortunate enough to learn the language and it seems every site i find is in italian leaving me at the mercy of the horrible babblefish. What I know is that my grandfather Antonio came to the US via Naples in 1888 with his wife Carmela and four of his five children. He was born on 9 Nov.1866 and according to his declaration papers his wife was from the same town. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction as anyone who may have known the answers are long since passed. Any help would be sincerely appreciated
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Caputo/Caputi Family

Post by wldspirit »

You can obtain birth, marriage and death records from the stato civile:

Interactive form letter

the above is very user friendly!

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Also of interest, the town registries have been microfilmed by the Lds, these can be rented and viewed at a local family history center:

Microfilm

Dates covered are 1809 thru 1929.

For tips on using this resource:

Obtaining Microfilm

To locate a center near you:

Library locator

The following will help in translating documents:

Italian Genealogical Word list

Latin Genealogical Word list

Record Extraction Guide

LBIKate

Post by LBIKate »

WoW! I cant wait to try the information you've provided! Thank you so very much! Finally, some light at the end of the tunnel!
Thank you!!!!!
ladyleopard1106

Post by ladyleopard1106 »

Kate:

Random question for you, but do you know of any Caputi's that are in south Jersey? I live in Gloucester County and know a couple. LoL.
LBIKate

Post by LBIKate »

When I was a kid it seemed like i had cousins everywhere. Since Grandma passed, the only person who sees anyone anymore is a cousin who lives in Audubon. And i only see him once a year when he comes down to go to the beach.
I know we have family in Manhattan, Philadelphia and Atlantic City...and being that this particular limb of the family breeds like bunnies, anything is possible. There were over 200 cousins when we had my grandmas 75th birthday party in 1976...sadly, i havent seen any of them since her funeral in 1996.
There are now only 5 first cousins left that i can identify on sight. Grandma was the glue that held the family together..I wish to get that back.
ladyleopard1106

Post by ladyleopard1106 »

Kate-

The ones that I know of are in Atco NJ. Kim and Kathleen Caputi. And I know what you mean about seeing everyone. I was at one of my dad's cousin's today because it seems the only time we ever see them is at weddings and funerals. =( My dad decided to write his memoirs and my cousin's wife suggested I do a family tree, so here I am! And it seems like every time I think I'm done, I find out that there are still more people in the family that we didn't know about! So this summer my dad and his two sisters are going to have a family reunion so that as many of us as possible can meet each other.

-Lori
LBIKate

Post by LBIKate »

I have been working on the tree for more years than i can count. Seems everyone was named either Anthony or Eugenio..I have families with 8 children and ever single one of them has an Anthony, Frank and Joseph. I wish i had thought of it when she was alive, but i have albums full of unidentified pictures and noone to ask...make sure you ask at your reunion for help with pictures!
Catherine , Mary & Anna repeat in almost every line too...so your Kathleen could be a cousin.
To add to the fray, my grandma who was born a caputo, married a caputi....and i wonder why i get confused??!!!! lol
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Happy to help Kate. :)

When you do receive a reply, or decide to rent the microfilm, don't forget our language section of the forum....our members often translate historical documents, we have a great team here at IG!!

Happy Hunting,
Lee

LBIKate

Post by LBIKate »

Hiya Lee,
Letter written. I cant believe how easy it was to create and translate using the template! Now it just a waiting game. Thanks again for sharing your time. I sincerely appreciate it!
Have a wonderful day!
Kate
ldineen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ldineen »

Where are the caputo's in your family from, in italy?
LBIKate

Post by LBIKate »

Oliveto Lucano..although Eugenio's Naturalization petition merely states Lucania...
Still no answer from my letter in January...guess i should send another request...
ronqn

Post by ronqn »

Hello, unfortunately in the Forum a month ago and looking for information about my maternal family CAPUTO, I find that your grandfather was Oliveto Lucano like mine. The emigré between 1904/1906 his name was Nicola Giuliano Leonardo and his wife Cherubina VENTURA, I know that also came brothers with him. Then he came to ARGENTINA. But I know there is family in the United States. If there is someone whose data match, I ask you to write me. Thank you!!!!