NY or fed Census record for 1940 and above

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

NY or fed Census record for 1940 and above

Post by mazzini »

Hi,

We're can I get census records from 1940 up through 1960? The government site doesn't seem to have it. I looked on the internet and can't find it.

I'm looking for Vincent aka James Viccica in NYC.

Any help would be appreciated.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: NY or fed Census record for 1940 and above

Post by johnnyonthespot »

mazzini wrote:Hi,

We're can I get census records from 1940 up through 1960? The government site doesn't seem to have it. I looked on the internet and can't find it.

I'm looking for Vincent aka James Viccica in NYC.

Any help would be appreciated.
You can't. The US Census data for 1940 will not be made public until 2012. Current federal law says census raw data is released after 72 years. Hence 1940 = 2012, 1950 = 2022, 1960 will be released in 2032.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

Thanks, Johnny.

But I just found that you can make a private search for a $65 fee at
www.census.gov/genealogy

Another question: Didn't you state on another post that when you were made a citizen, your wife was automatically a citizen?

Did she have to come with you to your appointment? We were married in '81 so we qualify and she will be a citizen and my minor son at some point. But I'd like to get it all done at once.

I'm in LA and the folks in Ireland that they use in Ireland have been no help and given me wrong info on other stuff.

I have my appointment in April and maybe I'll just bring my son and wife with me to expedite this.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

mazzini wrote:Thanks, Johnny.

But I just found that you can make a private search for a $65 fee at
www.census.gov/genealogy
I believe this applies only if the person making the request was a member of the household. See this page.
Another question: Didn't you state on another post that when you were made a citizen, your wife was automatically a citizen?

Did she have to come with you to your appointment? We were married in '81 so we qualify and she will be a citizen and my minor son at some point. But I'd like to get it all done at once.

I'm in LA and the folks in Ireland that they use in Ireland have been no help and given me wrong info on other stuff.

I have my appointment in April and maybe I'll just bring my son and wife with me to expedite this.
If a woman married an Italian man prior to April 27 (?), 1983, she was automatically granted citizenship. NOTE: This does not apply to a man who married an Italian woman.

My wife did not have to come with me or file any application of any type. I simply included a certified/apostilled/translated copy of her birth certificate with my application and pointed out to the consulate official that I assumed she would be recognized automatically. Five weeks later we each received a letter of recognition and invitation to return to NYC to apply for our passports.

I am not certain about this but you might even say that the woman had no choice in the matter. Whether she wanted it or not, by marrying an Italian male she became a citizen regardless of her desire (or lack of desire) to do so.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

thanks, Johnny.

That's great! I'll do the same thing!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

mazzini wrote:thanks, Johnny.

That's great! I'll do the same thing!
How old are your children? If they are minors, I believe you can include their certified/apostilled/translated birth certificates in your package as well.

My son was already over 21 years old at the time I submitted my application and I was told by NYC that he would have to submit his own application after mine was approved.

I found a much easier and faster way was (after I had my own Italian passport in hand) to simpy register his birth with the consulate the same as I would for a newborn. I followed the procedure described under the heading "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" on this page and my son had his letter of recognition less than a week later.

I understand that the LA consualte allows the same procedure, registering the birth of an adult child. I would hope that the other consulates will as well.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

[quote="johnnyonthespot]...
My wife did not have to come with me or file any application of any type. I simply included a certified/apostilled/translated copy of her birth certificate with my application ...[/quote]

PS: I included copies of her US Passport and driver's license also. Not certain if it was necessary, but seemed like it might be.
Carmine

mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

thanks Johnny,

My son is 11. I'll bring my wife's stuff in also.