Whats on an Italian BC if I become a citizen?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Whats on an Italian BC if I become a citizen?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I was just wondering...After all said and done, if I should become a citizen and get an Italian birth certifcate, what name is on it? Does it have your maiden name or are you assigned the name of the relative from Italy? For example, I am De Filippis ( maiden) but might be inheriting citizenship through a ****. So would the last name be my maiden, ***** or my married name on the BC?

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Whats on an Italian BC if I become a citizen?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Your maiden name as it appears on your US birth certificate. And, yes, your original birthplace is still your birthplace as well.

Your maiden name is also the name which will appear on your Italian passport, however there is the option to display your married name in a field on the passport document reserved for that purpose.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

So on it would be my maiden name and birth in New Jersey but a copy of it would be in Italy ? Who has a copy of the Italian birth certificate in Italy? The town of the relative who came over?

Alicia

PS- Is it the norm to have your married name put on the passport?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

In Italy, all documents pertaining to birth, marriage, death, and citizenship status are held at the comune level.

Assuming that your consulate approves your application, they will forward your documents (essentially, the ones you had translated) to your ancestral comune - the comune of the ancestor whose line you are using. I understand it is possible to request your documents be filed in some other comune, but don't know very many people who have actually done that.

Your "Italian birth certificate" will say basically the same things that your US one does. Your name is Alicia De Filippis, your parent's names are xxx and yyy, you were born in Anytown, USA on such-and-such date, etc.

If you are married, a marriage act will also be created with all of the pertinent information.

In Italy, marreid women do not change their legal name. Your maiden name is your legal name for life. It is the name which appears on your passport, driver's license, etc. You can find this discussed in several threads on this board, One of them is here.

To your question, I think it is a good idea for American women in particular to ensure that both names are on their Italian passport. There will be times when you want to be able to show that the American you and the Italian you are the same person. One example, when you buy plane tickets in the US you need to specify your name "exactly as it appears on your passport." So, let's say you purchase plane tickets to Italy in the name "Alicia Jones" and you board your flight out of the US without incident. However, when you prepare to depart Italy using your Italian passport (you are supposed to enter and leave Italy using it), the name on your passport "Alica De Filippis" does not agree with the name on your return ticket. Being able to point to the little box which shows your married name will be a very good thing. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

You are so informative and thorough! Thanks a million :wink:

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote:You are so informative and thorough! Thanks a million :wink:

Alicia
Just passing on what I have learned, ma'am. I see you have already begun doing the same thing. :D
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well, maybe a little. Id hate to misinform anyone being Im new to the naturalization part. Ive done genealogy for a few years but just discovered the laws of dual citizenship. Ma'am...I might be a tad to young for that!Not sure actually...Im in my early 30s, thought that was for the elders :lol:

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

DeFilippis78 wrote: Ma'am...I might be a tad to young for that!Not sure actually...Im in my early 30s, thought that was for the elders :lol:

Alicia
I worked in a diner back when I was a teenager. A woman of 30'ish sat at my counter one day and I asked her, "What can I get you, ma'am?"

She about had a fit. Let me know in no uncertain terms that she was way too young to be called ma'am. :)
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

See, you should have learned your lesson then! :wink:

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Assuming that your consulate approves your application, they will forward your documents (essentially, the ones you had translated) to your ancestral comune - the comune of the ancestor whose line you are using. I understand it is possible to request your documents be filed in some other comune, but don't know very many people who have actually done that.
I am going to request that my documents be filed in my father's ancestral comune and not my mother's through whose line I am applying. They are on opposite ends of the country. I no longer have any contacts on my mothers side, and I am in almost constant contact with my father's side. I hope this isn't an impossible request as I too haven't heard of many people doing it.
passports

Post by passports »

I think your married name will be your Italy BC.

-----------------------
Get Passports and Passport Renewal
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

passports wrote:I think your married name will be your Italy BC.

-----------------------
Get Passports and Passport Renewal
You think wrong... :wink: In Italy women keep their maiden name for all their life...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

So if I were to live in Italy my married name would serve no purpose?

Alicia
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

Your maiden name is your legal name in Italy.

About as close as my wife comes to using her married name here is on her debit card (Bancomat). I'm the primary account owner, so her card states her name as:
First name, maiden name, "in" married name.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Oh thats right! I forgot about the "in" part. So is a name written like that all the time or is it just the maiden usually?

Alicia