Finding family in Italy/ Overseas

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Finding family in Italy/ Overseas

Post by leash »

Hi.
I would love to know if I still have living relatives in Italy. I have looked up Cannella in Messina (Lipari) and it seems there are some ther but how do I know I am related to them.
I would also love to know if I have family in other parts of the world such as America etc.

I would love all the help in writing letters and finding out this information. I don't have anoy one to help me. SO i am trying to find out all this information myself.

I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO KNOW WHAT MY FAMILY DID IN ITALY, SUCH AS WHA TTHEY DID FOR WORK. it seems every1 has so much information on there family but i cant find much at all =(
Known surnames- Mollica, Alba, Cannella, Secchitano
I would like to research my family history and find out as much as I can =)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Finding family in Italy/ Overseas

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its taken me years to uncover what I have on my family tree. Its alot like being a detective and putting the pieces of a puzzle together. Its alot of cross referencing also to make sure you always have the right people, places and time. It definitely takes a little practice. But on this forum everyone can help you. They are great here.

Alicia
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

It hard not knowing much, I basically know my nan and her parents names and on my gy side there names but not my gg parents, everyone seems to know what there family did in italy beofre migrating but i just get stuck i guess ill just keep asking 4 bc.... but i would love to know what the did in italy...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

If its any consolation I have about 100 people on my family tree from both parents sides and I dont really know what anyone did before coming here :lol: Thats not my forte and dont actually know how to find that out. With the exception of a job lised on the ship manifest, thats all I found. Once they were in America I can see on the census what hey were doing for a living. For instance one was a coal miner, a grandmother " labeled boxes in a macaroni factory " ( that one cracked me up) and then I have a whole slew of barbers all working for each other in the Bronx, all from Sicily. Its a little shady though being alot of the barber shops in New York were tied to the mob. But as far as what they did in Italy, all my relatives say the same thing on the ship manifest...laborer. That doesnt tell me much

Alicia
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

Thanks Alicia... SOunds like I am talking to myself.. lol.. my name is Alicia to....
I guess I'll wait to bc to more gg name and just keep going at it.... BE interesting to see how far I could go back assuming they were all born where my nana was born. if not then im in trouble lol
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its nice to assume they are all born in the same town . But in some instances, they might be from a few towns over. Ive found with many people in my family that the women lived in other towns then when they married moved to their husbands town. A few of them listed their place of birth as the town their husband is from. I only found out their true town of birth by cross referencing them to other relatives. Hopefully thats not the case with you.

Alicia
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

thanks alicia- guess i get a nice big bit of paper and start writing up what i have already, if only my nan was here to help =)... i guess ilol b doing this all on my own... lol
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Just to give you a heads up on doing your own research.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

THanks Peter, I wonder if there are any useful ones in Australia? I have a few names but people seem to have such detailed info on there family histroy and i have well zilch... guess I can only keep tryn and hope someone out there may be able to help give me sum info =)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The best source for OZ records are at www.naa.gov.au/collections/recordsearch/index.aspx

If youneed any more OZ help please let us know. =Peter=
~Peter~
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

Thanks Peter i have requested some records on my Nan's mother hopefully they will tell me of her children and dob place of birth and parents names we can only hope, I am also wondering if I have distant relatives o/seas?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can go to www.familysearch.org under ancestor search for worldwide location of surnames as well as www.numberway.com for telephone directories worldwide. This preliminary research usually start you off! =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Alicia, last week I stumbled upon this amazing Australian government web site. Click the link, enter your ancestor's surname, and go. If they naturalized in Australia, you will be able to view the complete record.

The one I had been searching for (another post on this board) came up with 20 pages including Italian birth certificates for all members of the family, photos, and many other documents. The previous thread is here.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
leash
Rookie
Rookie

Post by leash »

wow, how do i request one of them for my nana =) which will have her parents names and place or dob on it
ty =)