Postgraduate students seeks help with dissertation

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
morella

Postgraduate students seeks help with dissertation

Post by morella »

Hello!

I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh. I'm doing a research project on Italian language maintenance among the Scotsitalian community and on its role in shaping the identity of successive generations of Italian immigrants.
If you're a Scotsitalian (no matter if you speak Italian or not) and think you could spare 5 minutes (honestly, it won't take more than that) to fill up a questionnaire I would be very grateful. My email address is
katiaansalone123@hotmail.com

I need at least 50 respondents but so far I've found only 3: I'm on the brink of despair!!
Thanks a lot
Katia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Postgraduate students seeks help with dissertation

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear katia do not despair while I do hope Scotsmen respond to your clarion call I would like to contribute a somewhat connecting subject which may be of value to your thesis study.

The text of the Essay titled RECONNECTING TO AN ITALIAN AMERICAN ETHNIC SELF by James C. Mancuso in March 2001 with the recommended reading of Blood of My Blood, Gambino, R. (the dilemma of the Italian Americans (2nd edition), Pub. NY Doubleday 1974.

Succinctly, the text of his essay offers a discussion of the ways in which people develop, maintain and, insome cases seek to reestablish, self identities based upon associations with a particular cultural group.

The relating website is www.sersale.org/mancuso/venturfr.html =Peter=
~Peter~
morella

Post by morella »

Thanks for the encouragement and for the reference. I'll give it a look.
Thanks
Katia
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Katia,
Have you tried rootschat?
RootsChat. com is an easy to use messaging forum for everyone researching their family history or local history. The focus is on Ireland and the British Isles. Local Historians and Family Historians have a great deal of knowledge to share. This service is entirely free, with the hope that you and the historian and genealogy community as a whole will benefit from it.
morella

Post by morella »

Not yet, but I will now!
Thanks
Katia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Can I furnish you with some scotland websites that perhaps youcan reach out to or do you already have the list of those most able to assist you?

For Instance www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/index.html may be a source of contacting people thatmeet your study requirements? Perhaps
www.scotsitalian.com and www.nas.gov.uk/guides/emigration.asp for the National Archives of Scotland? =Peter=
~Peter~
morella

Post by morella »

Thanks a lot. I've posted an ad to the Scotsitalian website and there's where I've got my 3 respondents. I'll check out the ohter 2. Thanks!
Katia
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Hi Katia
Sorry I missed your post :oops: I missed reading the Off Topic section.
I'm willing to help you I'll send you an email shortly.
Emmy

ps I may be able to find another person to give you help too :D
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Mistake made here sorry :oops: :oops:
Emmy
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Emmy!
The site adds the spaces so she doesn't get spammed by some 'bot' that cruises the site.
It's awfully nice of you to help out :D .
Let us know if you get 'published' :wink:
Valarie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Emmy :D

Hope you don't mind, I went ahead and removed the correct email addy, leaving the instructions to take out the spaces, as Vj stated, it's an anti spam measure used by many people to avoid having their email picked up by the trolls on the internet.
IG has had a major problem the past month or so with spammers, Nuccia, James and I work around the clock to remove it as soon as possible. But they are persistent little buggers!!
My motto, better safe than sorry! :lol:
Hugs,
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Thanks Guys
Put it down to old age and being too trusting - my family keep telling me I should'nt be allowed online.
There's a joke with me and my daughter who has her own web site for her holiday gites at LesCrouquets in France every time she updates her web site NOW JUST TAKE NOTE OF THIS believe it or not I act as the 'web police' to look for any msitakes. So far I havent received any promotion to Sergeant or Inspector wonder why :roll: and although I do have a link to set up a web site of my own i think it would make my family pass out! but they have no need to worry for when the first page comes up how to start building my web site. I just look at it for a while then realise I'd would be better and maybe quicker just to let my two wee dogs loose on the keyboard :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for being so observant and careful with the posts xx
Emmy
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Morella, Stuart Capaldi is Scottish and very helpful. You'll find him on this thread, if my attempt at posting a link works!
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 15515.html
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Hi Morella how are you making out with the study? Am looking forward to any preliminary papers finished onthe interesting subject youhave taken on.Please keep us posted. =Peter=
~Peter~
morella

Post by morella »

Hello everybody
sorry I lost track of some of my posts. Caroline, I've written to Stuart today and he said he'd be willing to help (thank you).
I've been stuck for a while at the data-collecting stage but now some respondents are starting to come forward. I'll keep you posted with the results of the analysis (the study should be ready by the end of the summer).
Thank you everybody for your help and encouragement: when I started, I never knew research could be so very frustrating at times :roll: