Declaration of Intent/Petition vs Certificate of Natur.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
scherzo

Declaration of Intent/Petition vs Certificate of Natur.

Post by scherzo »

I am trying to determine whether my family qualifies for citizenship. My great Grandfather (born in Italy) filed a petition for naturalization sometime around 1913, but a certificate of naturalization was not issued until 1917. My grandfather was born in the interim in 1916. Does this mean that my grandfather was born an Italian?
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Re: Declaration of Intent/Petition vs Certificate of Natur.

Post by Mulé »

Yeah, your GGF was Italian at the time of your GF's birth. So you should be ok.
scherzo

Post by scherzo »

Thank you!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Scherzo did your GGF manifest of his arrival inthe USA reflect any date of acquiring his US citizenship? It seems odd that 4 years had to pass before final approval of US citizenship was granted? =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:Scherzo did your GGF manifest of his arrival inthe USA reflect any date of acquiring his US citizenship? It seems odd that 4 years had to pass before final approval of US citizenship was granted? =Peter=
My paternal grandfather: Declaration of Intent, May, 1932. Oath of Allegiance, February, 1935. 33 months total.

Maternal grandfather: Declaration of Intent, June, 1938. Oath of Allegiance, December, 1941. 42 months total.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

The process must have been slower in the early 20th century, but by early mid century they must have had the process streamlined, of sorts, down to 30+ months. ;) I know my process of gathering documents for Jure Sanguinis has nothing on the INS. More than a decade! I can't believe I have been at this THAT long. :( Next week is my document delivery appointment date. I am so excited to finally see this through. Hopefully it will end happily.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In those early years there was widespread fraud of citizenship papers and fraudulent documents among immigrants. It got so bad that they started the system of inscribing on the original manifest of an aliens arrival the citizenship certificate number lawfully issued to the alien andso wheneever an alien with naturalized USC certificate his manifest would be checked to verify any claim to citizenship. WW1 was starting in europe and all that good stuff brought a rise inillegal documentation. =Peter=
~Peter~
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

It must have been extremely difficult to check documents and keep track of everything without the use of modern technology. I can't imagine how it all "worked".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It was very easy since the government kept possession and control of the ships manifest which had to be annotated withthe Certificate of Naturalization number on the same line as the immigrants entry into the USA as a permanent resident alien. (you can still see this practgice ihn many of the ships manifests to this day at ellisisland.org.

Once a naturalized alien applied for a US passport, application for a relative to join him/her inthe USA or arrested for some illegal action the manifest would be checked for a relating citizenship certificate onthe manifest. If the alien had fraudulent documents, false identity it would immediately show up when his recofrds were checked.

In those early days clerks were knowledgeable and educated and expected to perform with excellence....=Peter=
~Peter~