Merchant Seaman named Lando

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maggiehill

Merchant Seaman named Lando

Post by maggiehill »

I have received information from The Lloyds of London Index of Sea Captains.

Giovanni Lando born Genoa in 1833 was made a Captain in 1866. He was on a vessel named Austerlitz which went missing on 25/26 June 1873.

I believe that he was my ancestor's brother John Lando who went to Scotland aged 14 in 1850. He always gave his birth place as Genoa.

Please are there any records available to search for their births as I do not know the birth district.

I have all the Scottish information regarding John Lando.

Maggie
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Merchant Seaman named Lando

Post by liviomoreno »

Please consider that Giovanni = John...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Maggiehill since Giovanni (John) Lando was born in the early 1800's in Genova or some smaller municipality in the province of Genova you may wish to consider contacting the Genova Forum where you can make appropriate inquiries.

www.genovaforum.altervista.org which appears to be in english as well as Italian. =Peter=
~Peter~
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

Thanks Peter and Liviomoreno

That's good news that Giovanni is the same as John as it helps sort out a puzzle we had.
The family story is that our John Lando left Italy as there was some sort of vendetta against the family. His father was a Petty Officer in the Italian Merchant Navy and arranged for him to go to Scotland in 1850 aged 14. John's brother was also a Sailor.
In 1890's a Captain Lando went to Biggar in Scotland trying to find his Brother but he did not find him. In Biggar other Italians were living there.

I have found 2 Lando's who were Masters on Ships one being Giovanni who obtained his Captains Certificate in 1866 but the ship he was on dissapeared in June 1873. He could have been John's father.

The other was Master Lando on a Ship named Edith who dissapeared in 1898. This one may/could be his Brother.

In both cases I am trying to get copies of their Captains Certificates which should give all the relevant information.

Thanks again

Maggie
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

I posted my query on the Genova Forum but I have not received any relevant information to date.

Giovanni Lando died at sea on 26/7 June 1873 and the other Captain A O Lando died near Cardiff, Wales on 25 November 1899. Would their death be notified in Italy and if so would they be on the death reecords.

I have a crew list for the Edith, Captain Lando comes from Italy. He is not on the British records.

Maggie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps by going to www.findmypast.com ( a paying website) lists 5 lando surnamed persons born between 1831 and 1835 which may be helpful. =Peter=
~Peter~
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

Peter
There are no records of the Captain Lando's dying at sea on the British records. Our John did come from Genoa.

I have all the British Census's and birth details of Lando, Landi and Landau. A person visited a Lando cousin in Scotland as his name was Lando and said 3 Lando's came to England and one headed north, I have checked these and found they were Jewish and came from Poland/Germany.

Will it be possible to find any information on the Giovanni Lando who was born in Genoa in 1833 as I do not have his birth district?

Peter
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

I have now found that Captain Gionanni Lando obtained his Masters Certificate in 1866, giving his place of birth as MONEGLIA, GENOA in 1833. Are there any Baptism records available for this area?

On the 1911 Scottish Census my John Lando states he is British by parentage i.e one perant is British.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Maggie
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You may ask for a copy of his birth record by writing to
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Comune di Moneglia
Corso Libero Longhi 25
16030 Moneglia GE
Italy

sample letters are available at www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

Thanks Livio for that information a letter is on its way.

Maggie
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

Livio
I have received this reply from Italy

Con riferimento alla Sua richiesta intesa ad ottenere l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Giovanni Lando e John Lando, Le comunichiamo che i nostri registri hanno decorrenza dall'anno 1866 e che, pertanto, siamo nell'impossibilità di evadere la Sua richiesta.
Per eventuali ulteriori informazioni può rivolgersi alla Parrocchia di Santa Croce in Moneglia al seguente numero telefonico: 0185/491643.
Distinti saluti. L'Ufficiale d'anagrafe M. Cafferata

I have translated it using Google and have tried to find an address of the Church which i believe is called the Santa Croce Church.
I wonder if you could please find an address for me.

Regards

Maggie
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Parrocchia di Santa Croce
Via Vittorio Emanuele, 147
16030 Moneglia GE
Italy
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

Livio

Thank you very much in assisting me in the search to find my ancestor. I have sent a letter today and hope to have success.

Thank you again

Maggie
maggiehill

Post by maggiehill »

I now believe that John Lando left Genoa because of Italian War period named the Sack of Genoa.It happened between 5 April and 11 April 1849 when soldiers resorted to the most petty actions against civilians, raping women and killing fathers and brothers who opposed the massacre, firing at the windows to the people surrounding and running through the streets.

Is it possible to search local papers during this period?

The ship was would have been Captained by a Angelo Marengo with Giovanni Lando one of the crew.
Giovanni was born in Moneglia, Genoa.

Maggie Lando Hill