USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Pastore
Rookie
Rookie

USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?

Post by Pastore »

So after a botched USCIS request that took over a year, and a resubmitted index search to the newer genealogy section, I finally received a letter saying that no records were found in their search. In the letter, it states that if I, "Need a certification of non-existence of a naturalization record for the above immigrant, write to the following address:"

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
ATTN: Records Operations Branch
1200 First Street NE
Washington, D.C. 20529-2204

I know there has been discussion on this board in the past about where exactly to send this request to get quick results, but I wanted to check to see if anything has changed, or if this is the correct place to send my request.

Thanks to anyone who can help point me in the right direction!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: USCIS Index Search Received - Address to Use?

Post by PeterTimber »

e-mail "genealogyUSCIS@dhs.gov" for this request. =Peter=
~Peter~
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Hi Pastore

Sorry to hear about the request taking that long! I too have been waiting quite a while - I know the requests take about 3-4 months- I emailed Diane Long over in genealogy to ask if I could go down to the office and request the No Record Letter in person and this is the response I received. Hope it helps!

"Please note that the USCIS Genealogy Program does not process requests for a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record of Naturalization.
In order to obtain a Certification of Nonexistence of a Record of Naturalization, you must forward a written request to the USCIS Records Services Branch for an agency decision to issue a Certification of Non-existence of a Record of Naturalization. There are no fees for this service. But it is important that all such requests be in writing and contain information to specifically identify the immigrant. For example, requests much contain the immigrant’s name (including all variants and aliases), date of birth, place of birth, and as much information as possible about when and where the immigrant arrived in or lived in the United States. Names of immediate immigrant relatives can also be helpful. In all cases the immigrant must be deceased. If the immigrant’s birth date is less than 100 years before the request date, requests for certification of non-existence must include a copy of the immigrant’s death certificate. Requests for this service must be forwarded in writing to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
1200 First Street NE

To obtain additional information for individuals that need documentary evidence of citizen or alien status to support a foreign application for dual citizenship, hit control and click to visit on the following link (or copy and paste it into your browser):
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD .
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

Does anyone know the turn around time to receive the certified "No Records" letter after it is requested??
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pastore ask that question in the same e-mail I suggested to reassure you where you should send your request. If you recall this prompted your inquiry here in this forum. =Peter=
~Peter~
Pastore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pastore »

Thanks Peter and SChiarini for your advice. I have sent out the letter and will let you know the turn-around time (Sent on January 29th, 2010).
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

If I recall correctly mine took 2 - 4 weeks.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

I sent my request via the G-1041 form in August 2009 & havent gotten a response. Should I be making a request in writing to the Washington, D.C. address as noted above?? :oops:
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Pastore wrote: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
1200 First Street NE

I know there has been discussion on this board in the past about where exactly to send this request to get quick results, but I wanted to check to see if anything has changed, or if this is the correct place to send my request.
I sent my request to the above address and received the final certification of non-existence letter in about three months. Hope that helps.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Donald66 wrote:I sent my request via the G-1041 form in August 2009 & havent gotten a response. Should I be making a request in writing to the Washington, D.C. address as noted above?? :oops:
If you have not received your initial response yet, then yeah I would follow up on it. 6+ months for the initial search is very long IMHO. Maybe your request wasn't correctly made or lost somewhere in the process. Inquiry at this email address: Genealogy.USCIS@dhs.gov as to the status of your request. Give as much details as possible, even attach a copy of your request if you had it as a PDF. This is posted on their website, not updated since 10/30/09, but it indicates they are caught up till 10/2009 with a few older requests lingering (maybe one is yours).
We are currently answering requests received in early October 2009 (a few earlier) Some Record Requests received earlier remain active, in most cases awaiting the requested file.

Questions about the USCIS Genealogy Program may be sent to Genealogy.USCIS@dhs.gov.

Last updated: 10/30/2009
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Just sent an email to the USCIS along with a pdf copy of the G1041.

Thanks to all for the advice! :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

donald let us know the response you receive in your USCIS Genealogy e-mail. Lots of luck while your at it. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Is the standard reply from the USCIS sufficient for the Consulate (NYC in my case) or should the letter request a specific response?
"Certified" for example?

taxi55 wrote:
Pastore wrote: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
1200 First Street NE

I sent my request to the above address and received the final certification of non-existence letter in about three months. Hope that helps.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I am not sure about NY specifically, but in most cases the required document is a certified non-existence of naturalization letter. It has been my understanding that the "no records" response letter isn't sufficient at any consulate.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Mulé wrote:I am not sure about NY specifically, but in most cases the required document is a certified non-existence of naturalization letter. It has been my understanding that the "no records" response letter isn't sufficient at any consulate.
For NY - that is correct. The "no records" found letter is not enough. You need the certification of non-existance from USCIS.