Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lanciano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sorrydude

Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lanciano

Post by sorrydude »

My grandfather was a DeCampli living in western Pennsylvania.
He was born to Dominic DeCampli and Adeline Trivilino in 1924.
His parents married in Lanciano on 24 Jun 1920 and arrived together in New York at the end of August 1920.
My great grandfather was born Domenico Di Campli in Lanciano on 27 May 1888 and my great grandmother was born Adele Trivilino in Lanciano on 12 Aug 1893.

What I have stated above is the only information that I know for sure.
Below, I will list what I believe to be true:

Generation I
Domenico Di Campli was born to Nicola Giuseppe Di Campli and Maria Domenica Gambescia. He had a younger brother named Raffaelo, born 24 Dec 1891.

Adele Trivilino was born to Nicola Trivilino and Camilla Staniscia. She had two older brothers; Giovanni, born 31 Oct 1886 and Giuseppe, born 14 Jun 1889.

Generation II
Nicola Giuseppe Di Campli was born to Salvatore Andrea Pietro Di Campli and Maria Concetta Bibiana Grifo. His parents married 05 Oct 1826 in Lanciano. He had two brothers and three sisters; Michel'Angelo born 25 Apr 1831, Gaetano born 04 Dec 1841, Maria Giovanna born 08 Mar 1828, Maria Antonia born 11 Apr 1836 and Sabia born 30 May 1837.

Maria Domenica Gambescia was born on 26 Jun 1853 in Lanciano to Andrea Gambescia and Lucia Nasuti. Her parents married 08 Apr 1843 in Lanciano. She had an older sister named Carmela, born 06 Nov 1851.

Nicola Trivilino was born to Giovanni Trivilino and Maria Giovanna Di Campli. His parents married 27 Nov 1851 in Lanciano. He had one brother and one sister; Antonio, born 20 Sep 1852 and Concetta born 26 Mar 1859.

Camilla Staniscia, I have no information about her birth nor her parents and siblings.

Generation III
Salvatore Andrea Pietro Di Campli was born about 1801 to Niccola Di Campli and Antonia Cotellessa. He had two younger brothers; Michelangelo born 23 May 1810 and Amadio born 18 Mar 1813.

Maria Concetta Bibiana Grifo was born about 1804 to Niccola Grifo and Angela Spadano. She had one younger brother and one younger sister; Pietro Sabatino born 18 Aug 1810 and Giacinta born 01 Jun 1813.

Andrea Gambescia was born 30 Jan 1812 in Lanciano to Ubaldo Gambescia and Maddalena Orlando. He had an older sister Francesca Paola born 05 Apr 1809. She died as a child. No other known siblings.

Lucia Nasuti was born 19 Oct 1820 in Lanciano to Sabatino Nasuto and Maria Rosato. She had one brother and four sisters; Luigi born 19 May 1825, Anna Antonia born 29 Oct 1810, Carmela born 13 Oct 1812, Palma born 15 Mar 1815 and Celeste born 19 Apr 1828.

Giovanni Trivilino was born 18 Nov 1812 in Lanciano to Nicola Trivilino and Felicia Bucci. He had an older brother Carmine Antonio Camillo born 23 Feb 1810 and two younger brothers; Domenico Antonio born 29 Dec 1819 and Antonio born 16 Sep 1822.

Maria Giovanna Di Campli was born 08 Mar 1828 in Lanciano to Salvatore Andrea Pietro Di Campli and Maria Concetta Bibiana Grifo. See Nicola Giuseppe Di Campli above for list of siblings.

Generation IV
Sabatino Nasuto was born about 1785 in Lanciano to Nicolangelo Nasuto and Domenica Giancristofaro. He had three brothers; Pasquale, Francesco and Pietro.

Maria Rosato was born about 1787 in Lanciano to Vincenzo Rosato and Carmela Giammarino. She had three younger brothers and one younger sister; Biase, Carmello Domenicantonio, Francesco Paolo and Serafina.

Information or leads about any of these people or their relatives would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you come to find any of the information to be incorrect, I would be very thankful if you let me know.

Thank you for your help.

Justin
SnowFlake

Re: Di Campli, Trivilino, Gambescia and Staniscia in Lancian

Post by SnowFlake »

Justin,

I think we are related - my great grandfather, Giuseppe Trivilino, was the brother of you great grand mother, Adelina. I talked with my aunt over the weekend and, if I remember correctly, she said she ran into your mother recently at a funeral. My aunt's name is Dolly and she is my grandfather's sister. His name was Sam and was my mom's father. Dolly is the last surviving child of Giuseppe Trivilino and Gesualda Onorato.
Your grandfather and my grandfather were first cousins. It looks like you put a lot of work into this research - did you write to the commune of Lanciano? I would like to find out more information about Camilla Staniscia. I plan to write to Lanciano to request more information and would be happy to share whatever I turn up. Also, Dolly was very happy to finally know the names of her ancestors. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mary Kay
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Justin & Mary Kay,

I'm another cuz. My Grandfather was Giovanni Trivilino. I sent for a copy of his birth cert. from Lanciano. He was born 1Nov1886.

Justin, how did you get all that info? I've been going blind looking at microfilm at the LDS family center library! You have filled in a lot of missing info I've been searching for on the Trivilino line. Thanks.

I can't find anything on Camilla Staniscia either. Or her sister/cousin Rosa Staniscia. Rosa married Giuseppe Di Carlo on the other line of my family.

Nice to meet you two,

Mare
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Hello,

It's nice to meet both of you.

Mary Kay, the funeral was for my grandfather and I was a one of the pallbearers.

I have used many different sources of information to put together the information I have, including the Archivo Di Stato - Chieti, LDS Family Center Library and records such as US Censuses and other American documentation.

I'm 95% sure that the names and people I have found are correct. I'm also sure that there are more people to find.

The date I had for Giovanni's birth came from his WWI Army registration card, which I'm attaching. I also attaching Giuseppe's.

So far finding any information about any Staniscia has been impossible for me.

Any information I find in the future about our ancestors, I will post to this thread.

Hopefully between the three of us, we'll be able to put together a pretty complete branch of the family tree.

Take care,

Justin
SnowFlake

Post by SnowFlake »

Thank you both for your replies!

I am preparing a letter to send to Lanciano for information on Camilla Staniscia. Have either of you already done so?

Dolly remembers that her grandmother (Camilla) was still alive when she was a child. Camilla had two nieces who helped take care of her. One lived with her and the other one lived in Milan but would return from time to time to help out. When Camilla died, a relative wrote to Giuseppe to ask him what he wanted to do with the house. Giuseppe told him to go ahead and sell it. This was probably in the 1930's/1940's.

I will check back often and post anything I discover here.

Mary Kay
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

I have copies of both registration card too. I've sent for a family certificate for the DiCarlo line. I am preparing one for the Trivilinos. When I get that info I will post it.
Justin, so your grandmother is Lorene? I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather Nick. My sympathies. I remember them from all the family reunions.
Talk to you guys soon,
Mare
Cotellese

Post by Cotellese »

Hello Justin, Mare & Mary Kay,

A good place to look for ancestral information is on FamilySearch.com (you will find Di Campli, Staniscia, etc). Another place is a local LDS history center (Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints) where you can order microfilm from Lanciano covering 1809 - 1865. I have found many of my ancestor (Cotellessa) from these tapes which are all in Italian. You can also write for information after 1865 to:

Ministero per i Beni e le Attivita Culturali
Archivio Di Stato Di Chieti
Dott. Carmine Viggiani, Il Direttore
Via F. Ferri, 27
66100 Chieti - Italia

But you must write in italian. They usually respond within a few months. It would also help if you sent them a donation.

Nicola DiCampli and Antonia Cotellessa had two children that I have in my Cotellessa family tree - Michele Angelo and Amadio. I got both these names from www.FamilySearch.com

Good luck on your search,
Joe
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Just to tidy things up for researching go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html
to familiarize readerwith Italian genealogy in toto.

Next for obtaining records from comune Stato di Civile go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Next for Italian records go to
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Hi everyone. I'm attaching a file of the 1930 census of Joe (Giuseppe) Trivilino. Have John (Giovanni) as well if you want it...
Thought you might like the info.
Maryann
34mare76

Post by 34mare76 »

Well, I'm told the file is too big, sorry. If you look at ancestry .com at your local LDS center and use the name Joseph Treveline you should get there. Note the misspelled name.
Maryann
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Mare, thanks for the condolences.
The last time I remember attending a family reunion, I believe I was still in elementary school.

Joe, any more Cotellessa information you are willing to share with me would be greatly appreciated. The information I found for Salvatore Andrea Pietro Di Campli came from his marriage certificate to Maria Concetta Bibiana Grifo, on which it lists his parents as Niccola Di Campli and Antonia Cotellessa. Thank you for providing me with the names of two of their other children.

It's great to see everyone working together and gathering information, I haven't been able to do much for the past few months. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do in the near future because I'm preparing to move out of the country this summer. When I do get time, I'll post any findings I have here and will look here for what others find.
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Generation III Update
Lucia Nasuti

It appears that on the marriage certificate, she is Lucia Nasuti, however on her birth certificate, she is Lucia Nasuto.

Lucia Nasuto was born 19 Oct 1820 in Lanciano to Sabatino Nasuto and Maria Rosato. Her parents married 11 Nov 1809 in Lanciano. She had one brother, Luigi and four sisters; Anna Antonia, Carmela, Palma and Celeste.

Generation IV
Sabatino Nasuto was born about 1785 in Lanciano to Nicolangelo Nasuto and Domenica Giancristofaro. He had three brothers; Pasquale, Francesco and Pietro.

Maria Rosato was born about 1787 in Lanciano to Vincenzo Rosato and Carmela Giammarino. She had three younger brothers and one younger sister; Biase, Carmello Domenicantonio, Francesco Paolo and Serafina.
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

I updated the original post with all updates and additions. I now have a good grasp on each branch pretty well except for the Staniscia line. Any help with this family would be greatly appreciated.
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

This is just a quick update.

Generation IV
Niccola Grifo was born to Vincenzo Grifo. That is all the information I have at this time.
sorrydude

Post by sorrydude »

Mare,

I still haven't been able to find anything 100% on Camilla Staniscia. I tried using Rose as a starting point instead of Camilla and might have found something. I would say that the family line that I've followed starting with Rose has a 50% likelihood of being the correct lineage.

I didn't answer you before about how I got the information about the Trivilinos. The marriage certificate at the state archives for Domenico Di Campli and Adele Trivilino. From it, I was able to find out Adele's parents as well as her grandfather. (Nicola Trivilino[fu Giovanni]).
This was the information that got me started. I then used lds microfilm and online searches to build the tree.

I recently wrote to the State Archives about the marriage certificate for Nicola Trivilino and Camilla Staniscia to try and get a start on the Staniscia line, or to verify the findings I have using Rose Staniscia as my starting point.