De Felice - Beniamino b.abt 1871 Naples, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chantrybear

De Felice - Beniamino b.abt 1871 Naples, Italy

Post by chantrybear »

Saluti! I would appreciate any help or advice to trace my ancestor: Beniamino De Felice born about 1871 in Naples, Italy. I know he arrived in Liverpool, England on October 3rd 1913 aboard the White Star Line RMS Cedric from New York, USA. He married Winifred Gwendoline Matthews in 1917, and died in Islington, London, England in 1941.

I would also like to know what the name De Felice means. Does it mean 'Happy'?

And, why did he arrive in England from the USA, rather than from Italy? Was he barred from entering the USA?

Grazie ed arrivederci i miei amici :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: De Felice - Beniamino b.abt 1871 Naples, Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Literally, Felice means "happy" or "lucky".

However, with the "De" prefix (which means "of"), we are more likely looking at "Of Felice" which can equally be thought of as "from Felice" and, sure enough, this Wikipedia article remarks that Felice is a region of Italy located in the area of Torino.

So, "Beniamino from Felice" (although Beniamino was born in Naples, earlier generations might have come from further north). Before surnames came into common usage, this technique of identifying people based on their origin was common. Leonardo Da Vinci being a rather famous example.

As to your other question, it is certainly possible that he came to America with the intent of staying but then decided that he just didn't care for this place and preferred something with a bit more of a "European" feel, so went off to Merry Olde England. Without more information, it is also possible that he arrived in the US with his parents at a very young age and then went off to see the world in his later years.

When I lived in Florida, it was often reported that for every four Americans who moved to Florida, one of them would leave the state within 3 years. Too hot, too humid, too much traffic, too expensive, too many wierd people. So many reasons.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Now, here is something of interest...

This manifest is for "Beniamino Felice", aged 42, shoemaker, place of birth Viterbo, last place of residence: London travelling from Liverpool to New York in July, 1913 to visit his brother in New York City.

If this is the same Beniamino, he was already living in England, he went to the US in July 1913 - perhaps merely to visit his brother? - and returned to England later that year in October.

Page 1 See Line# 2

Page 2
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:...
However, with the "De" prefix (which means "of"), we are more likely looking at "Of Felice" which can equally be thought of as "from Felice" and, sure enough, this Wikipedia article remarks that Felice is a region of Italy located in the area of Torino.
Carmine, Wikipedia is wrong. There's no place in the Torino area called Felice
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

liviomoreno wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:...
Carmine, Wikipedia is wrong. There's no place in the Torino area called Felice
Livio,

Yes, I knew something wasn't quite right about that; I should have explained in my post.

I wonder if the Wikipedia article was referring not to one of the modern-day twenty "Regioni dell'Italia", but either to a regione which is no longer formally recognized, or possibly an informally named "area" which never had official recognition but was still commonly known to the people of the time.

Yes? No? Maybe?

While at it, I suppose it would be wise to mention that another use (primary use?) of the "De" prifix is to tie a person to a particular family name or clan, "Beniamino of the Felice family" for example. But then shouldn't that be Beniamino De Felici?
Carmine

chantrybear

Post by chantrybear »

Wow!! This information is amazing - thank you so much. I love the fact that it gives a description of him 5' 3" dark hair, dark eyes and dark hair. And the proof of where he came from - Viterbo. It was only family talk that he came from Naples.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

chantrybear wrote:Wow!! This information is amazing - thank you so much. I love the fact that it gives a description of him 5' 3" dark hair, dark eyes and dark hair. And the proof of where he came from - Viterbo. It was only family talk that he came from Naples.
It never ceases to amaze me how short most of our ancestors were...
Carmine

boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

Post by boozy.bird »

A family called DeFelice settledi n the Ancotes area in Manchester England in the late 1800s don't know if this is any help to you
chantrybear

Post by chantrybear »

Thank you for this information. I shall investigate....
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Just in the case you didn't noticed it, in the 1913 arrival manifest posted by johnnyonthespot Beniamino stated he was going to visit his brother Carlo De Felice living on 169 Sullivan street, New york city while his nearest relative was his sister Caterina De Felice living on 30 Wilmington Square, London.
Hope this helps a little...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

From Ellisisland.org website this is a 1907 arrival manifest for Carlo De Felice, age 42 (approx. birth year 1865), married, last residence an place of birth in Italy Roma, he was returning back from a trip to italy, in fact he stated he was in the U.S. from 1900 to 1907, he was joining his family living on 169 Sullivan street NYC :!: same address that Beniamino gave at his arrival on 1913....

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

possible death dates for Carlo?

Defelice Carlo 69 y Oct 12 1933 Certificate number: 21927 Manhattan
chantrybear

Post by chantrybear »

Thank you so much for this information