surname change at ellis island, or after?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wrc_fan

Re: surname change at ellis island, or after?

Post by wrc_fan »

ptimber wrote:If there is none it might still mean that he did become a naturalzied US citizen so if you would give me the state he resided in while living then I can tell you any additional information, if any, or just direct you to the nearest immigration office and file for a copy of his peition. Peter
I don't see any markings on the manifest. So I'll just have to submit a request anyway, then? He would've been naturalized post 1930 in the city of San Francisco if he was.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

He could have submitted a petition for naturalization anytime and in any jurisdiction but usually where the man settled down andworked is most likely thge place he filed for citizenship, if he did at all. I suspect that most people obtained citizenship as time went on. Is there a reason why you cannot furnish his name and year of birth so that I can take a look see for you?? Peter
wrc_fan

Post by wrc_fan »

ptimber wrote:He could have submitted a petition for naturalization anytime and in any jurisdiction but usually where the man settled down andworked is most likely thge place he filed for citizenship, if he did at all. I suspect that most people obtained citizenship as time went on. Is there a reason why you cannot furnish his name and year of birth so that I can take a look see for you?? Peter
You can look to see if he was naturalized in San Francisco? The reason I am not telling you is because I would have to ask my girlfriend before sharing any details. I did say he was 16 in 1912 though, so it wasn't like I'm completely hiding everything. I just don't want to give out any specifics until I have her permission
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just wanted to help out but perhaps you should go it alone to www.publicrecordfinder.com and look under people search. perhaps his name will show up and the date he used it somewhere along the years. ike Voters registration or driving licences etc. It shoudn't cost much for a one shot search. Lots of luck. Peter
wrc_fan

Post by wrc_fan »

ptimber wrote:Just wanted to help out but perhaps you should go it alone to www.publicrecordfinder.com and look under people search. perhaps his name will show up and the date he used it somewhere along the years. ike Voters registration or driving licences etc. It shoudn't cost much for a one shot search. Lots of luck. Peter
I do appreciate your help. I think she's just gonna have to do a search for his naturalization or not. As nothing else really seems to link him between the two last names.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a story here. Peter
wrc_fan

Post by wrc_fan »

ptimber wrote:There is a story here. Peter
What do you mean?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I suggested the peoplefinder.com websitge and you did not even jumpa t the chance of using that website to resolve your problem, or at least acknowledge that it was a good lead to follow. You simply ignored what I said and I felt that somehow you arfe not telling me everything that would help me help you. Peter
wrc_fan

Post by wrc_fan »

ptimber wrote:I suggested the peoplefinder.com websitge and you did not even jumpa t the chance of using that website to resolve your problem, or at least acknowledge that it was a good lead to follow. You simply ignored what I said and I felt that somehow you arfe not telling me everything that would help me help you. Peter
That is because I looked at the site, and did not see anything about certificates of naturalization. I did ask if you could find that, and you did not say yes. We already have his marriage license, his birth certificate, and his death certificate. All that we need to get is his certificate of naturalization, or comfirmation that he wasn't naturalized, and proof somehow that he changed his last name.

You said that the certificate of naturalization if he was naturalized would have the name change info, so getting it could kill two birds with one stone. I thought that seemed the obvious next thing to look into since we need to get it anyway.

Am I mistaken to think this?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is no guarantee that he did decide to change hus name at time of naturalziation but often this is the time it occurred,. He may have changed his name at any point =during his life and so Naturalziaition would be just another lead to follow. I did not guasrantee anything. That is why I told you about people finder after I told you about naturalziation. possibility. You can check voter registration too. In any event I hope you achieve your objectives. Peter
mtpizzo

Post by mtpizzo »

I know that Peter is going to say that I am wrong, but here is my story.

I had a relative that changed his last name and the Houston Consulate told me that I needed a letter from a judge stating that the names were of the sam man.

I have a cousin who is married to a judge. He wrote a letter saying that my great grandfather used the two different names.

While my application is still processing (the paper work is currently in Rome), the Houston Consulate accepted this letter as sufficient evidence.