What should I send instead of IRC?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

What should I send instead of IRC?

Post by giannattasio »

My commune is requesting an international reply coupon in order for them to mail me a birth record. The post office does not have IRCs any longer. What should I send them?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: What should I send instead of IRC?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Are they really asking for that?

IRC's are supposedly still available, but it seems most local post offices do not carry them. You may need to go to the main post office for your area.

Perhaps you can just send them a few euros instead.

Or, maybe this site will offer some insight: http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10178

And another: http://www.n6hb.org/s-a/irc.htm
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

Yes, they sent me an email requesting an IRC, first time that has happened to me. I've gone to 3 post offices and a mail center, can't find one anywhere. The only place I know to buy euros is at the airport and that's over an hour away. My bank does not sell them. Any ideas?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Did you see my added comments in the previous post?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

Yes, I already printed the info for the IRC from the USPS website and took it with me to the PO, they just keep telling me they don't carry them, very frustrating. Can I just send dollars?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

giannattasio wrote:Yes, I already printed the info for the IRC from the USPS website and took it with me to the PO, they just keep telling me they don't carry them, very frustrating. Can I just send dollars?
Dollars, no.

I suggest you call the office of the Postmaster General in the main post office of your County Seat and ask what you have to do to obtain IRC's. Perhaps they can have them sent to your local post office.
Carmine

chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

I am also having the same problem.
Ive looked online for IRC's too and at the USPS web site. It lists them but they are not 'for sale'.
Ive also seen a web site that shows IRC's that were good until Dec 2009. So I dont know what they are using now?
I have no clue what to do and am very frustrated since Ive got these requests here that I am really looking forward to filling. :x
chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

I've just sent an Email inquiry to USPS. I will post any response I get back (it says 1-2 days). When I find them I think I'll stock up for future use LOL
In the mean time.....so I have an idea how many to purchase....Does anyone know how many coupons should be included with each request sent? 1? 2?
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

I spoke with someone at the 800 number and he called all the post offices in my area and they only had expired ones. Don't know how many you are supposed to send. You'll have to ask at the P.O. to see how much in postage each ones is worth in Italy.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

A single IRC, which costs $2.10 in the US is exchangable in member countries for standard "letter" Air Mail postage.

PS: How many of you know that the original "Ponzi Scheme" created by Italian immigrant Charles Ponzi involved the trading of International Reply Coupons?
Carmine

chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

Johnnyonthespot, Thank You for your help. You have really been great and we appreciate it.
I did find the information about the Ponzi Scheme in my search to find IRC's.
Hopefully I can locate some soon and get my requests sent off.
chicagostyle

Post by chicagostyle »

Wow someone must be working the night shift at the post office. I got a reply back from them already!

here is their reply;

I understand you need to order International Reply Coupons, and your local Post Office does not have any.

Gail, I apologize that you have had difficulty obtaining these items. Unfortunately they are not currently offered through the Postal Store. The International Reply Coupons are stocked at area Post Offices. Like stamps, they are only ordered at locations that have need of them.

You may want to check availability at other nearby stations. For your ZIP Code
giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by giannattasio »

I'd like to get my documents and not monkey around with the post office. How many euros should I send?