some pix ive found in my research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: some pix ive found in my research

Post by Essgee »

PepinoMattioli wrote:Essegese thank you very much, Im not sure why...but when ever I looked in the death records or census I couldnt find any of this info. Im not sure if i just did something wrong, or if maybe you know better then me and found it easier ( which is likely ) Ill try and adress my questions in order of the info you posted.

Sometimes you have to know the tricks. You get better at it over time...also, I have access to a couple of sites with census data, so I can try different methods to get to the info...you will note in the 1920 census, his last name is indexed really off...you sometimes just try to search by first names.

I just had my father look at this and he confirmed the info, with things he remembers. As I said before my dad was the youngest and born in 51 and his father Otto died in 58 so he doesnt remember much, just what he was told. I did find Otto in the death index but not Sante or Orgia. I also found Anthony. Is there any way you can find out when Sante or Orgia died?

No. The Social Security death index began to post deaths when the first Social Security people began to retire and die...in the 1960's for the most part, but some listings in the 1950's. Secondly, you have to be reported to Social Security in order to be listed...if the family did not call them...they are not listed in the index. Social Security would have information on them, but still they would not be listed in the index.

The best information to find is from your father...where did his grandparents live? Did he ever meet them or were they dead before he was born? If so, what about older aunts and uncles? If someone can remember the time period, it will help. Otherwise, if they can remember the cemetery...if the church your grandfather attended was the same that his father went to, then the church might have buried your ggrandfather as well and they might be able to give you a date...or locate the cemetery if they have a church cemetery.

I already had the info about Sante arriving on the Neopolitan Prince from Genoa and came with Capezzi to W. lackawanna with Capezzis son.

How would I go about obtaining death and cemetary records. I have found a few sites, but Im not sure which is the best to use. Ultimately, I would like to get all the info I can before I start utilizing sending away for records, just so I can make sure I have the correct people.

Again, the best place for information is the family. Contact aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Write it all down. Eventually, it will come together. Good idea to get what you can from this side of the ocean before you head across the pond to Italy. It will help you eventually.

And as for the Portomaggiore info, I am leaving any of my Italian research till I am finished with my US research.

thank you very much for all the help, I hope Im not asking too much, or bothering too much. As I said I am an ametuer at this.

I am an amatuer also...but with practice, you will get better, believe me! I'm here...as are lots of others...to help when we can...don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck and have a great evening
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here she is!!!

Argia Longarini (age 31) travelled on the S.S. Friedrich der Grosse, May 18, 1907 Genoa Line 21 and 22 of the manifest.
Travelled with her daughter Ida who was 9 years old.

Will be sending you something via email!

First Name: Argia
Last Name: Longarini
Ethnicity: Italy Italian North
Last Place of Residence: Portomaggiore
Date of Arrival: May 18, 1907
Age at Arrival:  31y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Friedrich der Grosse
Port of Departure: Genoa
Manifest Line Number: 0021

along with Ida Mattioli!! There is mention of Sante Mattioli as well on the manifest.

The kind help from the other posters made this possible... good stuff... !!

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

MFJP.....

Don't know how you did it, but this is terrific!!!

You know, I tried looking for Argia with her last name beginning with "L" because those men that boarded with the family had names beginning with L and I thought they could be brothers-in-laws or something....

But I never found it......so it pays to have many people working on the same things......

You did a great job and I know he will be thrilled to get this information...

Thanks for all the help............
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I spent weeks looking for my own GGfather’s manifest... and was so frustrated because the links at the Ellis website kept telling me that there was no such photo... but yet my GGfather’s name kept showing up in the search results. The links were not linking....

Because he had an unusual first name, I did a search using the jewishgen. org gensearch form using ONLY the FIRST name. I found him... and the manifest. I truly love the Ellis Island Website and appreciate all the work that goes into this site... those forms for finding missing manifests are priceless.

Using all of the info supplied by Pepino, Esgee, Victorim, sumner, juanminbar was great. Because of the census info that was posted, I had valuable info to work with.. approx year of birth, 2 unusual names to work with, an approx. timeframe. The search only took 20 minutes. I got results for both Orgia and Argia. I almost fell off my chair when I saw Sante’s name on the manifest.

What was interesting to see on the manifest is on line 20, Bonardi, Giorgio.(?).. it also looks like he was going to the same address (9?14 West Lacawanna?) as Argia. He was going to see his brother in-law Alessandro Capezzi.

Also on line 15, same manifest, Antonio Lungarini?? is it the same last name as Argia’s? only he was going to New Haven... though it says he is Italian South, from Fano (?) (as his last residence)... but at the very end of the manifest, it says his place of BIRTH is Ferrara just as Argia’s.

This manifest does have lots of wonderful info to look into and should be printed out in a large format and pieced together...

The Naturalized numbers on the manifest was explained well by essgee and will certainly use that information to update my family research.

For future research purposes down the road....
There are Family History Center film notes for Ferrara... but may be Austrian based (as this area must have once belonged to Austria-Hungary??).. not sure if Portomaggiore, Ferrara church records will be here... lots of war history in this region.

Topic Italy, Ferrara, Ferrara - Church records

Titles Kirchenbuch, 1799-1801  Österreich. Armee. Hauptfeldspital 25

Kirchenbuch, 1815-1859  Österreich. Armee. Garnisons- und Spitalsseelsorge Ferrara (Ferrara)

Kirchenbuch, 1816-1818  Österreich. Armee. Garnisonsspital Königgrätz (Böhmen)

And I agree, working together as a group certainly paid off, we all win!
mfjp
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

PepinoMattioli wrote:thank you as well juanminbir...sorry i was overwhelmed with information at the moment.
where do you live?
do you remember otto?
do you remember his wife?
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Thanx soooooooo much everyone. As I said it has been hard for me to follow up on the Mattioli side of my family. but thanks to all of you for helping, Ive got a whole new batch of info to look into.

Essgee thank you for explaining some tips to me. That will help me alot, and this explains why I go crazy looking in the death index and not finding old info. I took your advice and emailed my aunt yesterday. Heres some new info I found out.

*the cemetary of everyone in the picture I posted
*there was a daughter ( not picture ) who was killed by a train when she was 13. her name was Ada, Aida, or Ida....who, coincidently MJFP found papers for today. She would have been my great aunt.
*Argia ( woman in pic ) is buried next to Aida in the cemetary
*Sante ( man ) and my grandfather( who i never met, youngest boy in pic ) are buried next to each other in another section of the same cemetary, along with my grandmother
*my family still owns 2 empty plots next to the men, cuz at one point my grandfather and uncle were going to move the women to be with Sante, because they had arranged to have been buried there when they died as well
*and she has all of their records, marriage, birth, death

Mjfp, I will also reply to your email in a bit. But thank you for finding the info you did. My aunt did not know Argias maiden name. Until I got to her house to research the records she has, I would have never found her maiden name. Also, I did see Bonardi, and it looks liek Morelli on the page you sent. if you look up Santes papers, they have Angelo and Dante Capozzi, who also came from Portomaggiore to 314 Lackawanna st. Coincidently, its still 17 miles from My aunts house. One of my upcomign missions is to ask my aunt if shes familiar with any of those last names.

Juanminbar I live in NJ. ANd there was 2 Ottos. Otto Sr, who is my grandfather who died in 51 when my father was 7. His wife was Dorthea. Then theres Otto Jr who is my uncle. And I still speak to him and know his wife.

thanks again to all of you for taking out of your time to help me with my research. If any of you need any help, and its in my power I would be glad to help you out as well.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

juanminbar wrote:
PepinoMattioli wrote:thank you as well juanminbir...sorry i was overwhelmed with information at the moment.
where do you live?
do you remember otto?
do you remember his wife?
pepino i have a picture of your grandfather otto. he is at the butcher shop where he worked. the picture of him in his white coat and apron along with the store owners and co-workers. i would gladly make a copy and send it to you...if...you are comfortable posting your home address.
obviously ju---- is not my name and i rather not post it or my address.

let me know.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

How did you get that?
Where did you get it from?
And how do you know its really him?

I would definitely want a copy. Email me at dirtyjerztek@aol.com and let me know.....ill give you my address
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

PepinoMattioli wrote:How did you get that?
Where did you get it from?
And how do you know its really him?

I would definitely want a copy. Email me at dirtyjerztek@aol.com and let me know.....ill give you my address
pepino i want to be anonymous. post your address and i will give you the details when i send you the picture.

i knew otto when i was a young boy.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Thank you, I would like as well...not to post my address in a public forum, Can you email me, I have no problem corresponding in emails.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

PepinoMattioli wrote:Thank you, I would like as well...not to post my address in a public forum, Can you email me, I have no problem corresponding in emails.
give me the first and last letter of your town and the first and last letter of your first name and i will locate your address.

trust me...otto was like family.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Juanminbar check your private messages
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

PepinoMattioli wrote:Juanminbar check your private messages
i read your message and replied.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

How would I go about obtaining death and cemetary records. I have found a few sites, but Im not sure which is the best to use. Ultimately, I would like to get all the info I can before I start utilizing sending away for records, just so I can make sure I have the correct people.

TODAY I CONTACTED THE CEMETERY AND I WILL PICK UP A COPY OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE AND HOPEFULLY A MAP OF HIS BURIAL LOCATION. I WILL MAIL IT TO YOU. YOU SHOULD HAVE IT BY THE END OF THE WEEK.