Need Help with Death & Birth Certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
grandamn

Need Help with Death & Birth Certificates

Post by grandamn »

I need to get

2 birth certificates from NYC from 1929 and 1932 this is for my grandparents

3 death certificates from Long Island, 1 great grandparent and two grand parents.

NYC said I have to jump through a list of things to do to get the birth certificates, one part is to get the death certificates. Now I called the Town of Babylon and they said that only parents and children of the deceased can have access to the death certificate since they all dies in the 90's. She then told me that I have to get a lawyer to get them. Is this true?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Need Help with Death & Birth Certificates

Post by maestra36 »

You should be able to get the NYC death certificates for the years you want through the website below. It should not be a hassle. There is a form to submit right online. First search the index to find the individuals and get the death certificate number. Then go to the second link and order the certificate online.

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeath.stm

http://www.nyc.gov/dorforms/death.jsp
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need Help with Death & Birth Certificates

Post by Tonio70 »

I beleive the Clerk erred when she said you would need a lawyer. If you have the death certificates of your grandparents, may I suggest you include a copy with them with your request for birth records. I did this when I ordered my mothers(1943) and grandfathers (1915) birth records. Also include in your letter a photcopy of your ID and your relationship to the individuals you are requesting the records of. As far as your great grandparents records, it should the same process. I would call the offices again and explain in detail the reason why you are requesting the documents and if they are of no help speak to a supervisor. Just be persistent and polite, nothing worse than pissing off a Clerk. I know first hand. :)