Italian archives

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Italian archives

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I requested military records for my GG grandfather and here is the response through email I got:

Gentile Signore,
ci dispiace di comunicarLe che, se non si conosce con precisione data e luogo di nascita, non è posssibile effettuare nessuna ricerca nella documentazione conservata presso l'Archivio di Stato di Napoli
Il dirigente
dr. I. Ascione
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need translation from Italian archives

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I think they are saying that they cannot research the records unless you can provide the exact date and place of birth.

Oh well...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You may be able to hire a researcher to go to the provincial archives and search the records on your behalf. I have no idea what this might cost; perhaps one of our Italy-based researchers can jump in here with details.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Maybe they can search the Salerno province or does it look like they are saying then need EXACT town of birth?

Alicia
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

it says that if you do not know the exact date and place of birth, it is not possible for them to research the documentation which is kept in the state archives of Naples. The same would hold true for any of the other Provincial archives, as far as I know.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Darn! Then back to the old drawing board of trying to get an exact place of birth. Ive tried everything. Anyone know how it works with the people staffed in Italy who help people on this forum? The bottom line is if I cant get his place of birth and BC, dual citizenship is out. Any tips...anyone?

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I am sure you tried this already, but just putting it out there.

Send the request for BC letter to every comune that serves every city name found in documents like ship manifests, marriage license applications, census, anything really. Any Italian city name shown in any supporting document would have received a letter from me. ;) good luck
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

delete

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

never give up until you are told all possible chances have been exhausted...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Gods will be done! If its meant to be, it will happen.

Alicia
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Shot in the dark but this might help.
http://www.gens.labo.net/

also if they had children born in Italy when they came, when they go married the town is supposed to be recorded on the parish marriage record, i say supposed of course. Also death certs sometimes have this, they again are supposed to but you know that drill.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Corrado,

What is that website for? Being I dont speak Italian Im not to sure what to be looking for :(

Also, they came here by themselves. They didnt meet in Italy. They first met and married in New Jersey. They didnt have any children until later on.

Alicia
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

Alicia...if you know the funeral home where the person was buried from [sometimes death records may say who the undertaker was], you could see if the operation is still there and requests information. I have found information on my relatives this way...yes, place of birth, relatives, etc.
Good luck.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Id have to check the death certificate again.

Alicia
cargor
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cargor »

Alicia, IF the funeral home is still there, call them, that's what I did. It took the place a few days to get back to me [they had their old records stored up in the attic] but it was worthwhile. If there is no name of the undertaker on the death record, call the cemetery to see what they have for information. I also learned some info from calling cemeteries offices but some of them have fees for searching. Just some tips...hope it works for you.