Corrao Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mitchi

Corrao Family

Post by Mitchi »

My family is from Sant' Agata di Militello, Messina, Sicily. My grandparents are Cologero (Charles) Corrao and Maria (Mary) Corrao (nee Corrao). My grandfather's parents came to America from Sicily. They are Antonio and Maria Corrao (nee Gennaro). My grandmother's family moved from Sicily to Chile (where my grandmother was born). Her parents are Giuseppe Corrao and Rosa Cicerello.

My grandfather's maternal grandparents are Cologero Gennaro and Anna Zingales-Botta. Anna's parents are Gaetanno Zingales-Bota and Grazia Carrao. I have nothing on my grandfathers paternal grandparents' side.

My grandmothers paternal grandparents are Vincenzo Corrao and Coletta Marurra. I have nothing on her maternal side.

Please let me know if any of this sounds familiar to any of you.
Michelle Buchheit (Corrao)
chazzy

Re: Corrao Family

Post by chazzy »

My great-grandfather Calogero Zingale and your great-great grandmother were siblings. Their parents were Gaetano Zingales-Botta and Grazia Corrao. Calogero married Rosalia Gennaro (possibly your Calogero Gennaro's brother as pairs of siblings marrying pairs of siblings commonly happened). My grandmother was the daughter of Calogero Zingales and Rosalia Gennaro. Her name was Grazia and she married Calogero Maniaci who was also fromt the Sant 'Agata di Militello area of Sicily. I know some about the Zingales family but very little about the Gennaro family or the Corrao Family. I'd especially like to know the parents of Rosalia Gennaro and Grazia Corrao. Please feel free to email me chazzym@aol.com.
Charles Maniaci
chazzy

Post by chazzy »

My great-grandfather Calogero Zingale and your great-great grandmother were siblings. Their parents were Gaetano Zingales-Botta and Grazia Corrao. Calogero married Rosalia Gennaro (possibly your Calogero Gennaro's brother as pairs of siblings marrying pairs of siblings commonly happened). My grandmother was the daughter of Calogero Zingales and Rosalia Gennaro. Her name was Grazia and she married Calogero Maniaci who was also fromt the Sant 'Agata di Militello area of Sicily. I know some about the Zingales family but very little about the Gennaro family or the Corrao Family. I'd especially like to know the parents of Rosalia Gennaro and Grazia Corrao. Please feel free to email me chazzym@aol.com.
Charles Maniaci
pepita.az
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pepita.az »

Mitchi wrote:My family is from Sant' Agata di Militello, Messina, Sicily. My grandparents are Cologero (Charles) Corrao and Maria (Mary) Corrao (nee Corrao). My grandfather's parents came to America from Sicily. They are Antonio and Maria Corrao (nee Gennaro). My grandmother's family moved from Sicily to Chile (where my grandmother was born). Her parents are Giuseppe Corrao and Rosa Cicerello.

My grandfather's maternal grandparents are Cologero Gennaro and Anna Zingales-Botta. Anna's parents are Gaetanno Zingales-Bota and Grazia Carrao. I have nothing on my grandfathers paternal grandparents' side.

My grandmothers paternal grandparents are Vincenzo Corrao and Coletta Marurra. I have nothing on her maternal side.

ase let me know if any of this sounds familiar to any of you.

Hello,
I am girl fm rome.
Maybe I can help.
My dearest friend is named Daniela Corrao, 28 yrs old.
Her family moved from Catania in 60's, if I'm not wrong.
Though "corrao" is a very common name in South sicily, I will paste your msg to her and we'll see if she can try to get inofrmation through her parents.
I'll tell you...regards Alessia
serraino

Post by serraino »

I just returned from Sant'Agata in June. I have been researching a book there during short visits during the last three years...actually, I've visited there nine times in the last five years. I love it there.

During this visit I accidentally met Rosario Carrao, a professional fisherman, who is my father's first cousin. We did not know about him; he did not know about us. My paternal family's name is Serraino. They originally come from the small town of Piraino, east of Sant'Agata. Rosario's mother was Tindara Serraino. My grandfather's name was Antonino Serraino. Their father was Giuseppe Serraino, born 1860 in Piraino. Their property was actually in Oceri, a tiny settlement in the commune of Piraino.

Tindara remained in Sicily. My grandfather Antonino moved to Bellevue, Ohio, via Cleveland, Ohio.

I've made lots of connections in Sant'Agata. I'm a professor at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati, Ohio. I took students there in May and I'm thinking about taking a group of adults there next May. My special interest is studying the folklore/folkways that existed in Sant'Agata and environs at the time my grandfather left in the early 1900s.

If you have anything to share about customs from the "old country," or if I can help you with something in Sant'Agata, please feel free to let me know.

Marilyn Serraino Luecke
serraino

Post by serraino »

One more thought....

I'll print out what you've posted, and anything else you send me, and I will take it with me when I return to Sant'Agata next May. Perhaps I can sent it to a friend there. Rosario is 75 and not into computers. I'll see if our mutual friend can get the information to Rosario.

Marilyn
chazzy

Post by chazzy »

Marilyn,

Thank you for any help you can give me. I think that my Maniaci and Gennaro families came from Piraino. If you send me a way to contact you, I will send you everything I know including some customs of my grandmother, Grazia Zingales-Botta. I would love to go with you to S'Agata. I'm a teacher so I'm not off in May (maybe I could take some time off without pay). Let me know some details about the trip. I would love it if you would be willing to send my information to Rosario to see what he might know about my family since they lived in S'Agata, Terranova and San Marco d'Alunzio. My grandfather, Calogero Maniaci was born in San Marco. What is the best way to send you information? I have an email account just for genealogy chamangen@aol.com. Feel free to email me.

Charles
chazzy

Post by chazzy »

Marilyn,

Thank you for any help you can give me. I think that my Maniaci and Gennaro families came from Piraino. If you send me a way to contact you, I will send you everything I know including some customs of my grandmother, Grazia Zingales-Botta. I would love to go with you to S'Agata. I'm a teacher so I'm not off in May (maybe I could take some time off without pay). Let me know some details about the trip. I would love it if you would be willing to send my information to Rosario to see what he might know about my family since they lived in S'Agata, Terranova and San Marco d'Alunzio. My grandfather, Calogero Maniaci was born in San Marco. What is the best way to send you information? I have an email account just for genealogy chamangen@aol.com. Feel free to email me.

Charles
SicilianBlood88

Post by SicilianBlood88 »

Calogero Maniaci was one of my grandfathers brothers. My grandfather's name is Paul Moniaci. He was the only brother/sister out of 10 in the family who spelled it "Moniaci" instead of "Maniaci" because they messed it up on his birth certificate by mistake. I know he had a brother named Calogero and obviously it's the same last name. Plus my grandfather is from Sicily so we must be talking about same guy. U must be a family member of mine! Does the name Scicchitano ring a bell??
tgkohn

Post by tgkohn »

I am a researcher of families from Militello Rosmarino and Sant;Agata di Militello. I suggest you join the Facebook page "Ricercatori di famiglia di Militello Rosmarino." https://www.facebook.com/groups/1104274186893769

Tom Kohn