Naturalization Certificate - what is needed?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Naturalization Certificate - what is needed?

Post by Steverino3006 »

This topic seems to have been beaten to death, which is probably why I am confused. That, and what seems to have been changes in US records policy, and of course perhaps variations among the Italian Consulates.

I am applying through San Francisco. I have a photocopy of my GF's Certificate of Naturalization. Is this sufficient? If not, what is really required, and where do I get it?

thanks.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naturalization Certificate - what is needed?

Post by teddi »

I recall someone being told by SF they needed a certified copy of the naturalization certificate or oath of naturalization. Hard to get now, since USCIS started the genealogy program and ceased certifying.

But check with your regional NARA or county courthouse- they may be able to give you a certified copy of oath of naturalization.
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

I called the court where my GF was naturalized and was directed to the state archives, where I was able to order certified copies of the declaration, petition, and oath, for a very reasonable fee.

Since some consulates are also asking for the certificate, I ordered one through USCIS, because NARA doesn't have them for the year my GF naturalized. Though the document is practically illegible, and cost much more than those from the state archives, it is from the official source, which is the best I can do. I also have a photocopy of the certificate that is much easier to read than the one USCIS issued.

Hope this helps!
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

I am told by the consulate that, since I do not have the original Naturalization Certificate, I need "to request from National Archives a certified copy (red ribbon) of all the documents they have on file for his US citizenship".

Ok, can do, but I am confused about what government agency to go to, and exactly what to ask for.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Steverino3006 wrote: Ok, can do, but I am confused about what government agency to go to, and exactly what to ask for.
Click here. Since you already have the certificate (and thus the certificate number), you can skip the "index search" and proceed directly to the records request.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

Johnny on the spot you surely are!

I have ordered, but I saw nothing saying I was ordering anything "certified". I assume this is what I need, and teh Consulate will be aware of the current form of documentation provided by the U.S. government.

Thanks.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

I recveived my document copies and cover letter. However, they seem not to be "certified" and do not have the "red ribbon" my consulate (San Francisco) said was needed.

Is this all that is available, and thus what the consulate should accept?
jgio

Post by jgio »

Hey Steverino, same predicament here. Have my papers from the same channels but no certification. Any news on your front? I am also going through SF Consulate as well.

Thanks
signoretti
Rookie
Rookie

Post by signoretti »

I am going through the San Fransisco consulate as well. My great grandfather was naturalized in 1932 in Chicago.

I sent a handwritten letter to Nara Great Lakes Region explaining that I needed these naturalization certificates for dual citizenship. I also printed a copy and sent a copy of the San Fransisco consulates specific instructions on the documents needed and highlighted the parts about certification. I then sent the letter, the S.F. consulates instructions and a check to:

Nara Great Lakes Region
7358 South Pulaski Road
Chicago, IL 60629

I received the paperwork back from Nara Great Lakes Region and it does have the red ribbon and the papers are very legible.
It includes a half paper on the front with the red ribbon and a letter with a signature stating that its a actual copy from Nara with a gold seal.
Second page is the declaration of intention with a picture of my great grandfather, third page is the Petition for citizenship, fourth page is the Oath of Allegiance.

I had also done a request from USCIS and received back a copy (not very clear and really hard to read) a copy of his Certificate of Citizenship, second page is the Petition for Citizenship (same as NARA), third page is Delaration of Intention with picture (same as NARA). The papers copied from USCIS are very hard to read, the ONLY difference is that USCIS sent a copy of the Certificate of Citizenship (the certificate which has a picture and the edge of the paper resembles a dollar bill edge) I did NOT get a copy of the Certificate of Citizenship from NARA. The papers from USCIS are not certified.

So for me I am going to send in both copies (USCIS & NARA copies) to the San Fransisco consulate for my appointment.

Hopefully this will help! I was really confused until I recieved the copies myself.

Good Luck!!!!!
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

I know my paternal grandfather never became a US Citizen....

I got a response from the NARA that no record could be found, just a regular letter, not certified/sealed. Will this letter be sufficient?

I recently submitted the USCIS index search again and expect the same response, no record. Will their response be sufficient or must I make a specific request for "No record"?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You must request a second, much more thorough search by another division of USCIS after which time they will formally certify that no records could be found. The process is described in other posts on this board, one is here: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... c/t=15281/

Please keep in mind that NARA does not have all naturalization records, and the fact that NARA could not locate a record for your ancestor in no way proves that he did not naturalize.

In the New York area, for example, NARA holds records only for persons who naturalized within the federal court system. In point of fact, well into the mid 1900's, most people naturalized in state or county courts and NARA generally does not hold these records. This was the case with both my maternal and paternal grandfathers, who naturalized in the "Supreme Court of the State of New York." NARA did not have records of either but both were found in the Westchester County, NY Archives as well as at USCIS.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jgio

Post by jgio »

Aha! Good stuff signoretti. I will try that approach. I very much appreciate the detail as frankly I was going in circles emailing the SF consulate and asking for the same docs as before and getting the same non-certified copies.

Not sure Donald how that works in your case. An email to the consulate may be helpful. The lady in San Francisco actually responds, which is nice.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

Yes, signoretti, great info.

jgio - are you going to contact the SF branch of the US archives? I think this is the right site:
http://www.archives.gov/pacific/archive ... co/gil.pdf

They have an e-mail to send them questions. I will be out of town, and don't want to send an e-mail I cannot reply to right away, but if you figure this out for our S.F. area, please post back here. I am still not sure exactly what to ask them for, or what the fee for the ribboned copy would be.

Thanks both.
alpharomeo

Post by alpharomeo »

Great info! :wink:
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naturalization Certificate - what is needed? The Answer!

Post by Steverino3006 »

Dear Mr. ___:

This responds to your e-mail of March 7, 2010, concerning
naturalization record of _____.

The National Archives at San Francisco holds a name index to records of
naturalizations created by the U.S. District Court, Northern District of
California (San Francisco), 1852 to 1991.

The record was found for _____ in searching the San
Francisco Naturalization Index.

The fee to obtain copy of the record is $7.50 and an additional $15.00
to certify. Please make your check or money order payable to the
National Archives Trust Fund. You may also use an American Express,
Discover, MasterCard, or VISA credit card by providing the type of
credit card, cardholder name, account number, and expiration date. When
you mail your payment to me, please enclose a short note specifically
identifying your copy order and the address to which the copies should
be sent.

Thank you for your request. Please call if you have a question.
Sincerely,

Gloria C. Legaspi
Archives Technician
Archival Operations Staff
(650) 238-3486
gloria.legaspi@nara.gov
NARA.-Pacific Region
1000 Commodore Drive
San Bruno, CA 94066