Birth Certificate Translation Help Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
barbflip

Birth Certificate Translation Help Please

Post by barbflip »

Hello!

This is my first visit here. I am looking for help translating what I think is my great-grandfather's birth certificate. If someone could please take a look and tell me what this says I would be most grateful.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee12 ... ficate.gif

Thank you!
Barb
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Birth Certificate Translation Help Please

Post by maestra36 »

The birth record is from the town of Nusco in the Province of Avellino. The official of the civil state of the town of Nusco who signed below certifies that the information in this 1954 certificate is taken from the register of the acts of birth for the year 1880. I can't read the volume number, the act was in Part I, number 44 (this is the record number). On the 7th day of the month of March 1880 was born in the town of Nusco, Carmine Gaudiuso, of deceased Amato Gaudiuso and deceased Maria Giuseppa Pasquali.

Obviously the parents were not deceased at the time of the child's birth, but this birth certificate was written on April 8, 1954 and is not the original certificate from the year 1880. This is probably the reason that the parents are listed as deceased (fu) in this certificate.
barbflip

Post by barbflip »

Thank you so very much!

I had tried using an online software to translate too and was able to get the basics of what this said, but I was totally confused by the 'fu' in front of both of the parents names. This is also interesting since Carmine's birth date is listed as 24 September 1884 on his USA death certificate and on other papers my grandmother had. You have been a huge help! Thank you again maestra36!!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I do find it odd that the town official who wrote this new certificate put the word fu in front of both parents' names. Usually you see fu or furono (plural) on death records. This is the first time I have seen it for the parents on a birth record. Sometimes actual birth records have a deceased grandfather's name in which case fu would appear before that grandfather's name. So the record might read, Carmine Gaudiuso, son of Amato di fu and whatever the grandfather's first name was.

Online translators are pretty bad but sometimes better than nothing.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

barbflip wrote:Thank you so very much!

I had tried using an online software to translate too and was able to get the basics of what this said, but I was totally confused by the 'fu' in front of both of the parents names. This is also interesting since Carmine's birth date is listed as 24 September 1884 on his USA death certificate and on other papers my grandmother had. You have been a huge help! Thank you again maestra36!!
I would be very concerned on a date which is "wrong" on all threee counts - day, month, and year.

You should consider carefully whether the birth certificate actually belongs to the same person as all the other documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

I saw your post and I am very familiar with the Nusco records. I have translated all of the birth, death and marriage records from Nusco from 1809 to 1910, to the best of my ability, with the microfilmed records available at the family history center. The record you received is indeed that of Carmine Gaudiuso, son of Amato and Maria Giuseppa Pasquale, but this Carmine also died in 1880, so it is not thie birth record for your great grandfather. Another Carmine was born to the same parents in 1883. The custom was that if a child died, the next child of that sex was given the name. I also show these other children: Nicola born in 1877, Giuseppe Antonio born 1888, died 1891, Michela Maria Antonia born 1881 died 1888. Maria Giuseppa is the daughter of Donato and Amato the son of Nicola. You can email me at say5@earthlink.net if you have any questions.
Sherry