How do you say "Master of Business Administration (MBA)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

How do you say "Master of Business Administration (MBA)

Post by mikedc »

...in Italian. It was translated for me as "laurea in gestioni di affari" but something doesn't seem right about that. THANK YOU!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: How do you say "Master of Business Administration (

Post by PeterTimber »

In Italy you can obtain a "Laurea: degree after 3 years of University study or "Laurea Magistrale with 2 years of additonal Univeristy specialization study.

The Master 1st level can be achieved after the primary Laurea while the 2nd level Master is granted after the Laurea Magistrale (plus internship) and very expensive..

The USA equivalent for the MBA appears to be the Laurea Magistrale since the Italian MASTER is more PhD soinding to my mind.

I would imagine however, that in dfealing with Government officials, consulates that they would be cognizant of the distinctions between USA college and University degrees and their Italian equivalents. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

WordReference.com suggests "laurea in economia e commercio"
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mikedc »

Thank you very much! This is helpful.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

johnnie a MBA is not a BMA (Bachelors degree in Business) while MBA is a MASTERS degree in Business which is equivalent to the Italian Laurea Magistrale .

Your interpretation is in error because you cannot have aN MBA unless you first get a BBA inthe USA and the equivalent of the MBA in Italy is a LAUREA MAGISTRALE .

I have both a Bachelors degree BBA and a Masters degree MBA. It takes 4 years for a bachelors degree and 2 years for a Masters degree for a full time student inthe USA for a total of 6 yhears in the USA

It takes 3 years for a LAUREA and an additonal 2 years in Italy for a Laurea Magistrale for a total of 5 years.

Consequently mike the LAUREA MAGISTRALE in ECONOMIA e COMMERCIO is equivalent to an MBA in the USA Masters in BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your "word reference" is incomplete and not correct. Please go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/academic_degree

Mikedc this is the correct website for discussing college and University degrees in the USA. Johnnie interpretation relates to the primary 3 year Laurea which is like a simple Bachelors degree in the USA. =Peter=

= Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:Your "word reference" is incomplete and not correct. Please go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/academic_degree

Mikedc this is the correct website for discussing college and University degrees in the USA. Johnnie interpretatiorelates to the primary 3 year Laurea which is like a simple Bachelors degree in the USA. =Peter=

= Peter=
Peter, not "my" word reference, but a recognized and generally very accurate website, wordreference.com. As I am sure you realize, many people challenge the accuracy of wikipedia entries.

For that matter, many of us who live in the business world day-to-day would challenge the real-world usefulness of MBA's, who generally seem to think they are God's gift to the business world. :)

Indeed, perhaps the difference is one of degree stature between Italian and American universities. It appears to me that the nearest equivalent to a "Bachelors Degree" in Italian is properly called a "laurea breve" or "laurea di primo grado" whereas a Masters or "full" degree would be simply "laurea".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Certainly Wikipedia can be considered reference material and I know of no one who views Wikipedia with raised eyebrows. In any event, the more time that is spent in study and research, the higher you and the degree conferred upon you by any University is valued no matter what the name. =Peter=
~Peter~