No Naturalization record requirements

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

No Naturalization record requirements

Post by Drew927 »

My Grandfather arrived in the U.S. in 1921. My father was born in Brooklyn, 1929. The 1930 Census shows that My Grandfather was still listed as AL (alien). He passed away in 1939. The NARA has issued me the letter of No Record Found, and I'm still waiting for the USCIS letter, which I am certain will show no record.

Will the NYC Consulate accept this or are there other places I should be searching for records of No Naturalization? I want to be sure to have anything they might require.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: No Naturalization record requirements

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The consulates have gotton much tougher in cases of "no records found"; it appears that in at least some cases, citizenship jure sanguinis was recognized based on inadequate searches only to have to be voided out when later information showed that naturalization which broke the bloodline in fact did occur.

NYC requires the certified no records found letter from USCIS, from the NARA office in every region where your ancestor lived, and also from the state/county archives from every county in which he ever lived. In addition, they may or may not demand certified copies of the census immediately before and after (if applicable) the US birth of the next in line ancestor.

The way the consualtes are acting of late, you should make every effort to obtain every possible shred of evidence proving non-naturalization.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Ok, thanks. I guess I have some more documents to get to be safe.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I have provided 10 proofs of no naturalization and they still require more. I have my certified non existence of naturalization from USCIS as well, still not good enough, not sure why! I even got another from USCIS with all alternate incorrect spellings of the last name just to be doubly sure. Now I am on proof 11. I have local courts, NARA, federal courts, everything. Not sure what else I can provide, but be persistent and firm.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Mule,

I really do feel bad for you, reading all these stories from hell about your dual citizenship process. I dont even know you personally but will be happy when it all pulls through for you :)

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I really do feel bad for you, reading all these stories from hell about your dual citizenship process. I dont even know you personally but will be happy when it all pulls through for you :)
Thx it is all good, I don't have anything else to really be doing anyhow - lol
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Lol! You sound patient. I personally go off the wall when things get crazy like that. Better you than me! Just kidding! Good luck though.

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

thanks... yeah nothing phases me anymore... lol

Best line ever from the official at the Dept of Vital Records, "There is absolutely nothing you can do to get that record changed, absolutely nothing!" I then calmly asked if a court order could change that record, and she calmly said, "Yes." So there you go. There is always something that can be done... become friends with a judge... :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Yes, befriend a judge and open your wallet and you might get somewhere :)

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Ha not that type of judge friend. judges shouldn't take money. My whole process for the BC change won't cost a thing, until I order the BC from Vital Records. I did the petition and motion myself and mailed it off to the court. Well 1.80 for the postage and $0.70 to print it out at the library. so I have about $2.50 and some free phone calls invested in this... :) not terrible... the attorney for the court order in PA wanted $200 just to get started and said it would most likely be around $500 all told. I did that all myself too, who pays these ppl? crazy... lol
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Wow! $2.50 for a court order and name correction? Not to shabby. I guess you did your homework. I will keep you in mind if I need anything like that done because Im not paying $500. BUt I wouldnt know how to do it.

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Yeah you just have to research and ask questions. The people at the court helped tons, walked me through their process. I send over an email draft that they looked over, made recommendations for corrections and all that. So it is possible to do most yourself without hiring an attorney. Just need to be patient and do the research, ask the questions and do the work, and it helps to be fearless... :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

And patient! Dont forget patient! Its a virtue I lack. The problem for me is with 4 young kids I can barely make a phone call in peace . Even as Im on the computer now I have a 10 month old trying to tear my laptop away.

Alicia
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I have 3 kids, one is only 14 months old... :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Mulé wrote:I have 3 kids, one is only 14 months old... :)
My one and only just turned 24. Thank goodness!

On the other hand, he is currently serving in Afghanistan with 9-10 months yet to go. Sleep doesn't always come easily these days...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)