Do they need death certificates at the consulate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Do they need death certificates at the consulate?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I understand you need birth certificates of everyone in the direct unbroken blood line. But do they always need the spouses birth certificate? Ive heard some people say they dont need death certificates for anyone and other people said they do. I know the BC is a must but keep reading that they might not always need the marriage and death. Is this true?

Alicia
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Do they need death certificates at the consulate?

Post by misbris »

These are the rules posted by the Philly consulate. If that is where you are going to apply, this is what you should follow.

http://www.consfiladelfia.esteri.it/NR/ ... ZAINFO.pdf
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Yep thats the one. And it looks like they want all birth, death, and marriage. Im wondering how much of an issue it is if some of these relatives didnt marry?

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

They would probably require a certificate of celibacy? (obviously from his mother!) =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Please tell me your kidding! What if they werent celibate? If one of the children came about from an affair?

Alicia
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

He is kidding. If he isn't, I want to see the statistics on how many have been issued. :wink:
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

And if they were celibate how do you have an Italian blood line if your not having kids :)

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The older the person would be, and thus the greater the likelyhood that he/she is deceased, the more likely the consulate will give you a pass on the missing death certificate.

The only reason for requiring the the death certificate appears to be as proof that the person cannot speak for himself in regards to the certification that he/she never renounced citizenship, etc. (Form 3 from most consulates). If the person would be in excess of perhaps 120 years of age, I think it probably that everyone can agree he/she is deceased even in the abscense of an actual certificate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My father died months ago but he was only 55, so Im assuming they would want a certificate. Im wondering though, because he is not a part of the unbroken blood line. Its my mothers side Im trying to go through. Should I still get it. Its not exactly a document I want to look at right now.

Alicia