Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Laura, THANK YOU! This information is fantastic...I so miss my Ancestry membership! I do think these are the same family. I just spoke with a newly discovered cousin in California and he told me that Ilario did indeed go by James and died at a young age (sounded like heart attack or stroke). I also remember seeing a California death record for an Americo James Sorbo, whose mother's maiden name was Imondi. Based on what you've found, and Italian naming traditions (very strongly followed in my ancestry), I think this is indeed the solution to the mystery! Thank you so much!!
Contrary to popular belief, not all Italian given names have Christian or classical roots. Many names encountered in older records are almost whimsical, and some cannot be translated into Latin or any other language. In order to avoid possible mistranscription of a given name with which the research...