Hi All,
I just spoke with a newly discovered cousin and he gave me some great information on our family's history. One item in particular I wanted to research more, but I'm not sure what resources are available. He told me that when my great-great grandparents (Andrew and Columba Sorbo) immigrated to Brazil in the late 1890's, they had two small children with them. Both children got sick and died. Their names were then given to the next children of the same gender (one of them being my great grandfather, Peter, the other being his sister Maria). As the story goes, the original childrens' birth certificates were reused as well to avoid a tax or fee that would be charged for new ones. We were always told that my great grandfather was born in Sao Paolo, Brazil in January of 1897. Now, we're not confident of this. Are there any online resources for searching death or birth records for Italian families who were in Brazil temporarily?
