What do Genealogists charge?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

What do Genealogists charge?

Post by Nimby5956 »

I recently contacted a genealogist and ask for some assistance finding information about my great grandparents. I gave her all the information I thought would be helpful.

She responded stating "So I have good news and bad news. Bad news first: I spent a great deal of time searching for Nicola's and Angelina's passenger manifests, but I have had no luck. The good news, however, is that I found a document that includes Angelina's mother's first and last name. It also indicates that Nicola and Angelina were not naturalized, and it lists where/when they were married.

If you would like this document, I will certainly send it to you. My research fee for this project would normally be higher (as I spent a lot of time searching for the passenger manifests). However, since I was unable to find them, I will keep my fee at $100, and the charge for the document would be $15. The total, therefore, would be $115 payable via PayPal. Upon receiving your payment, I would email you the document ASAP."

Does that seem like a reasonable amount to charge? Besides the cost, I’m afraid if I pay for the document, it will turn out not to be MY family document. She will have fulfilled her end of the bargain by supplying me with a document; however, it won’t do me any good if it doesn’t apply to my family.

_______here is the information I sent to her originally_________
NICHOLAS (great grandfather)
Nicholas Losquatro born 3/15/1874 in Italy.
Came to the US in 1900 (followed by wife/daughter in 1902).
Died Oct 15, 1944 (Bronx) Death cert #10016 / approx 70 at time of death.
Possible Naturalization records: 102175 - 206

SPOUSE: Angelina (aka Lena) Losquatro born 1878 / 1879 not 100% sure of the year.
Came to the US with her daughter Mary in 1902. All other children were born in US.
Angelina died 11/3/1943 - certificate # 23965 (Manhattan) – approximately 64 at time of death.

According to the 1920 census, and the WWI Registration card, they lived at 351 East 76th Street, NYC
1930 Census has them living in Queens
I know that both Nicholas and Angelina (aka Lena) were born in Italy, but I can’t find them on any passenger lists arriving in the US.

I believe the name was changed from Losquadro to Losquatro, perhaps upon arrival in the US.
It’s been nearly impossible to find anything on Losquatro. I have found several Losquadro families, including searching the white page of Italy – either way it doesn’t seem to be a very common surname. Having come from Italy I would imagine that Nicholas was originally Nicola or Nicolo or something version of.
Bari’s patron Saint is Saint Nicholas.

Their other CHILDREN (besides Mary – My grandmother) were:
Joseph DOB 1903
Antoinette DOB 1905
Anna DOB 1908 - died Nov 1977
Teresa DOB 1912
Dominic DOB 11/13/1915 – Died Oct 2001
Michael DOB 6/16/1917 – Died Feb 1975
Anthony DOB 2/18/1919 – Nov 1994
Patrick DOB unknown – July 2005

At some point they owned a house in the Bronx, NY, which upon their deaths, was left to their 3 unmarried children (Anna, Dominic, Michael) and eventually sold.

So with all this information – what do I want to know?
- How/when did they arrive in the US and from where in Italy (family believes they originated from Bari). Phone records from Italy indicates that with the surname “Losquadroâ€
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: What do Genealogists charge?

Post by Romano1970 »

Ufortunately this is about correct for genealogy. The good news id there is a good deal of information you will be able to find on your own and with the help of the people on sites like this. You will be surprised what they can find here.

What you state is also true. How can you really be sure the document is for your family?

I would say that what you should do is find out as much information you can through your relatives. Take notes, record their voices, get names, dates, places/towns your relatives come from and contact those towns. If you do not speak the language, there are many fine people here that will translate for you.

Post as much information here as you can, or know. these people can dig up great things. What were your grandparents names?? Dates they cam ehere.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Nimby we are here to assist people with their own genealogy. It helps us help you if you know what Italian Genealogy Research is like.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html on How to do Your Own Italian Genealogy Research

After this you can then understand when I direct you to go to this website in order to obtain your own documents free of charge.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Get back to us as soon as you like. =Peter=
~Peter~
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Nimby.....Peter is a most Valued member here. he will always lead you in the right Direction.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nimby5956 »

Thank you all - I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to respond :)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1930 census
Name: Nicole Losquadro
Home in 1930: Bronx, Bronx, New York
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1876
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Angelina
Age at first marriage:
Household Members: Name Age
Nicole Losquadro 54
Angelina Losquadro 50
Anna Losquadro 21
Tessie Losquadro 18
Dominick Losquadro 14
Michael Losquadro 13
Anthony Losquadro 12
Pasquel Losquadro 9
Antonetta Demaggio, mother in law, 74

If this is the correct family, wife Angelina's maiden name was some form of De Maggio or Di Maggio. Maybe we can locate her ship manifest with this info.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I have done my own research for years but some times you can hit a brick wall and dont know where to go. Im at that point. So I am contacting a genealogist because I have exhausted every route. So it is true you can do a lot of it yourself but you might get to a point where you cant go forward. The only thing I can suggest at this point is voice your concerns to her that your afraid the document might not be your family. Maybe she will have a solution. But either way she is going to have to charge you something for using her time. Its like having a mechanic look at your car thoroughly and then deciding you dont want any repairs. You still have to pay for them looking the car over.

Alicia
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nimby5956 »

Biff83 - I believe you are my hero!
I'm certain this is them!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Nimby,

Even if the above 1930 census which I posted is the document your genealogist found, you still need to "pony up" and pay her the $115 for her time and for the document. When you contacted her to do searches for you, you in essence gave your word that you would pay her a reasonable fee and I believe her charges are most reasonable based on the time I've spent thus far this evening trying to locate records.

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Interesting 1900 census

Name: Nicolas Losquadro
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Aug 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1900
Relationship to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Interesting he lists occupation as a driver, possible for the head of household who is a coal dealer. Usually someone who was a coal dealer in the winter, delivered ice in the warmer months.

Biff
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nimby5956 »

Biff - First, I want to thank you again for the information.

Second - When I first contacted her, I was very clear that I was unaware of the cost for these types of services and I made it very clear I didn't have the luxury to afford much. I asked her directly how much her services were because I didn't want to get in over my head.

Her reply was initially very vague and later in the email she stated "If you supply me with all the information that you have, I will research for all documents that I have access too (birth, death, marriage, naturalization, passenger records, census, etc). In one week, I will let you know what documents I have found. Should you choose to have me send you any documents that I find, you would pay me the research fee. If you decide that you don't want the documents, then you owe me nothing."

She did not provide me with any documents, or any specifics as to what type of document it was she found. I'm not sure the 1930 census is what she located as she said the document also included confirmed they were not naturalized and it included where and when they were married, which as you know, the census does not.

I would NEVER EVER take advantage of anyone and I don't believe I did that in this instance.
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nimby5956 »

Biff- to validate your note above re: ice/coal
1920 Census: Manhattan states: Coal dealer
9/12/1918 WWI registration card states "?? Ice Business
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Nimby5956 wrote:Her reply was initially very vague and later in the email she stated "If you supply me with all the information that you have, I will research for all documents that I have access too (birth, death, marriage, naturalization, passenger records, census, etc). In one week, I will let you know what documents I have found. Should you choose to have me send you any documents that I find, you would pay me the research fee. If you decide that you don't want the documents, then you owe me nothing."
Nimby,

Based on the above, I stand corrected and you have my sincerest apologies.

Biff
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nimby5956 »

No apologies necessary - I know there are plenty of people out there who will take advantage of others to meet their own needs.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Nimby,

Take a look at this 1913 manifest and let me know your thoughts. See lines 16 to 20. Looks like a second trip for Angelina/Angela but her maiden name sure doesn't look anything like DeMaggio. Appears to be Gagliardi.
Page 1
Page 2
Birthplace: Toritto, province of Bari
Destination: New York to join husband/father Nicola Losquadro
Nearest relative in Italy: father Domenico

Biff