italian immigrants in uk

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
boozy.bird
Rookie
Rookie

italian immigrants in uk

Post by boozy.bird »

I am looking for anyone whos ancestors came to England from Italy.......
I have info on several families & would like help with others in return if possible.
I have not managed to find any info on Guisseppe Pelegrino thought to come from Santa Maria Olivetto/Taverno or Venafro born circa 1822 married to Cherubina Petricci
Would love someone to help.......thanks
slvrshadows

Re: italian immigrants in uk

Post by slvrshadows »

My great-grandfather and great-great grandfather (Luigi and Guisseppe Perri) went from Liverpool, England to Montreal, Quebec in 1903. Do you happen to have a record of their trip from Italy to England or any other tips on how to find that information out?

Thank you so much for any help!
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Julie, your website is great!
My ancestors Raffaele and Saverio Ciaccia came from Naples to London pre 1812, and I have not been able to narrow it down any further than that.
I'm guessing your research has been focused on Northern England?

My GGG grandfather Raffaele was a sailor, but I can't find any records of his arrival and only one census with his birthplace as 'Naples' as opposed to 'Italy' or 'foreign parts'
I was very excited when the alien arrivals 1810-11 lists turned up recently on ancestry.co.uk but nothing showed up for him.
Likewise in the alien arrivals books 1794-1921, which are un-transcribed, and made hours of interesting reading.

Any other clever ideas?
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Any chance of any help on understanding the alien arrivals books 1794-1921 in Ancestry please?
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Jamie.
They are copies of letters from the home office to various other officials.
They concern foreigners seeking entry to England, for example:
"To Mr Walsh, Yarmouth: the usual letter to allow the persons named hereunder to proceed to London - Otto Fred Owesen, Danish merchant. Whitehall 17th June 1797"

There are also permissions to grant passports to travel abroad, and some interesting warrants for deportations.

I have worked my way through most of the earliest volumes, so the most useful thing I can tell you is that there are alphabetical indexes in the back of each, which appear to list the majority of the names in the texts.
Most names are underlined, but it still takes forever to go through all the pages!

The 'aliens' are from all over the place, there are a lot of merchants and sailors, and quite a few Italians.
Have fun, and don't go blind reading them!
Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Being the addict that I am, I have just been looking again...
There are some other interesting books further down the list (they are not all in chronological order) which are purely indexes, though not all years seem to be covered.
I think until some kind souls have transcribed them all it is a matter of sitting and reading for hours.
I will keep an eye out for Capaldi on your behalf. What is your time period?
CC
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

I seem to have missed this information re Ancestry (I'm not a registered member though)
I have been trying for 40 years to find information regarding my grandparents arrival in London but have always came up against a 'brick wall' and have been told there are NO records available for 'Italians' arriving in England by boat because records were not kept at that time. (Their names: GiovanniBatiste Defilippis and Francesca Bastianiello)
I do know the approx time of their arrival but only because of birth acts of my father and his brothers. My father's elder brother was born in Italy in August 1883 (Frosinone) and my father was born in London Jan.1887
I have searched but there are no records of any other births between those years either in Italy or in London. So they must have arrived in London between 1883 and 1887 I do know they lived at 32 Mill Lane St Pauls Deptford London and my grandfather's brother and his wife and child came over at the same time and lived at the same address. On my father's birth act my grandfather's occupation was listed as 'Itinerant Musician'
Perhaps I've misunderstood the information you have posted but it would be just fantastic after all this time if some records have been found.
Perhaps you could let me know if I've got this wrong.
Emmy
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Emmy,
These records can be found on the Ancestry homepage - more collections -immigration & emigration records.
This is where you'll find England, Alien Arrivals 1810-11 and 1826-69, and UK Aliens entry books 1794-1921, also UK incoming passenger lists 1878-1960.
Some of these records have only just been added.

These time periods probably don't help you. I have had a look at the records that are currently being transcribed for addition (World Archives project) but there is nothing that looks useful coming up.
I will have a nose through the Alien arrival books later and see if I can find anything.
Frances Bastinello b1828, living Wigan, Lancs in 1891, and Giovanni B Fillipi b1871, living London 1901 are not 'yours'?
Caroline.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Thanks for replying to my question so quickly Caroline.
I know I have been told I can get access to Ancestry at my local Library so I may go and check this out and if I can get access I'll have a look to find out if I can understand what is being offered.
Frances Bastinello b1828, living Wigan, Lancs in 1891, and Giovanni B Fillipi b1871, living London 1901 are not 'yours'?
Sadly no, My grandparents moved to Glasgow in Scotland between 1892/94.

Thanks for your help if I find anything I'll let you know- fingers crossed :D :D

God Bless
Emmy
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

No worries Emmy.
As I said, I'll keep an eye out.
CC
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Hello Caroline, sorry for not replying more promptly, i have too many forums i have to find!
Thanks for the info on how to look for names in alien entry. My ancestors came to Bristol, England around the mid 1880's.
Thanks again!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
pdxgal

Post by pdxgal »

So glad to learn about the alien info available. Will check it out! Don't know much about my (presumed) Italian ancestor other than the name and location. The birth record for my great-great-grandfather born in 1820 in Dudley lists his father's name as "Bevilockway". No first name. Presumably this is an Anglicization of "Bevilacqua". I read online (Wikipedia?) that many of the early Italian immigrants to England came from the northern areas which had been devastated by the Napoleonic wars. And the name Bevilacqua seems much more common in this area than other parts of Italy.