travel from US to Italy in early 1900's

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
k8landers
Rookie
Rookie

travel from US to Italy in early 1900's

Post by k8landers »

My great grandfather traveled from Italy to the US in 1907, stayed for a while, traveled from the US to Italy, then left Italy again in 1909 and stayed here in the US.

Where could I find records of travel from the US to Italy?

It is more for my own curiosity, but was thinking if there are records of people coming into the US, wouldn't there be records of people leaving?

Thanks!
mozzie
Rookie
Rookie

Re: travel from US to Italy in early 1900's

Post by mozzie »

I have the same problem, my G Grandfather migrated to the USA in 1910 after having 7 children and his wife dying ing 1924 he returned to Trieste (it was Italy at the time - 1924).

Unfortunately there does not seen to be any records of return trips, only local records of deaths marriages etc.

If somebody does know how to get this information, I know that there will now be 2 very happy people.

David
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

There are no known records of this type; it is a question which comes up often.

The US government did not maintain records because, frankly, they didn't care about who was leaving the US, only who was coming into the country.

There are no known records on the Italian side whether because the early Italian government did not require them at the time or simply did not retain them for more than a few years.

You could try requesting a "Certificato di Stato di Famiglia" from your ancestor's comune Anagrafe office. This will have information on his entire household including the names, places, and dates of birth of his spouse and all children, and may icludes notations concerning persons who left and/or returned. View an example here http://www.genealitalia.com/doc_italianos/stato.htm
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Carmine,

I don't know if you realized that link is in Spanish. Or is it just my computer? :?
k8landers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by k8landers »

Thank you very much. I have the letter done and am going to mail it today.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

misbris wrote:Carmine,

I don't know if you realized that link is in Spanish. Or is it just my computer? :?
You're right! At the time, I was just looking for an image of a Certificato di Stato di Famiglia and wasn't paying attention to the surrounding text. Click the image for a larger version.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
k8landers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by k8landers »

I have my computer set to translate the web pages automatically, so I was able to navigate it.

Thanks for your help.

katie