Surname "di Lanza"; possible Pescocostanza connect

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
drrainaldi

Surname "di Lanza"; possible Pescocostanza connect

Post by drrainaldi »

Records I just received from the Diocese of Pittsburgh gave me answers and created confusion. Hoping someone can help
My paternal grandmother (Martha Buccigrossi, DOB abt 1889, believed to be born in Pescocostanza, believed immigrated to US in 1890) was married in PA in 1908. Church records of Martha's marriage list her mother as Annunziata di Lanza. However, we have always thought her mother's name was Maria Flora Stella. Maria Flora (Stella) Buccigrossi is buried in the same church cemetery, and Maria's death records indicate her parents as Felices and Pasqual Farnelli. Dominico Buccigrossi is listed as the husband in both records and I have his birth records from Pescocostanzo. Records for the period of Martha's birth in Pescocostanza are not available, possibly lost in a fire, so I am trying to trace her mother's family through other means.

My questions are: 1) Is there anyway that someone listed as Annunciata di Lanza in one church record could also be known as Maria Flora on another record? I've not seen the name "di Lanza" in Pescocostanza records. Additionally, there were always stories that Martha's mother originated from France, so I'm wondering about the di Lanza region and if she possibly originated there. Also, the way Maria's parents are listed in death records leaves questions about whether Farnelli was Maria's mother's maiden name.

Does anyone have any thoughts about where I might begin to find the di Lanza connection or answer some of these other questions?
Thanks, Leslie
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Surname "di Lanza"; possible Pescocostanza con

Post by pink67 »

Leslie, just for references and to try to help you better I'm posting the 1900 census for Domenico and his family:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Dominick Butehgraso
Name: Dominick Butehgraso
[Dominick Butchgrass
]
Home in 1900: Mahoning, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: May 1856
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1890
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Mary
Marriage Year: 1890
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 10
Residence : Mahoning Township, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Dominick Butehgraso 44 hed, born in IT, immigr. year 1890
Mary Butehgraso 39 wife, born in IT. immigr. year 1896
Martha Butehgraso 11 daughter, born in IT on Nov. 1888, immigr. year 1896
Francy Butehgraso 2 daughter, born in PA
Joseph Rusatto 22 boarder

Image, from Ancestry.com:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVLaoT9

and this is the May 1896 arrival manifest for:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Maria Stella
Name: Maria Stella
Arrival Date: 25 May 1896
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Fulda
Search Ship Database: View the Fulda in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 3
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_659
Page Number: H

Travelling with her daughter Marta (she was listed under her mother's maiden name, this is a common thing because in Italy women never loose their maiden names even if married, so she was travelling under her legal italian lastname) going to Pittsburgh :!:

image from Ancestry.com:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Tsi0fO9

Laura

p.s. I'm adding also the (possible) 1890 arrival for Domenico Buccigrossi:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Dro Buccgrossi
Name: Dro Buccgrossi
Arrival Date: 10 Apr 1890
Estimated birth year: abt 1857
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Victoria
Search Ship Database: Search the Victoria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 33
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_545
List Number: 449
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Note he was travelling with a Rainaldo.... :!:

image:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq5PwGi
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Leslie,
presuming that Maria Stella was born in Pescocostanzo (around 1860, from 1900 census) I would advise you to search by yourself in the Civil Registration of the town microfilmed by the Mormons....
Just for example this film:

Title Registri dello stato civile di Pescocostanzo (L'Aquila), 1809-1865
Authors Pescocostanzo (L'Aquila). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Nati, matrimoni, notificazioni, morti, diversi 1858; Nati, matrimoni, processetti, notificazioni, morti, diversi 1859-1860; Nati, matrimoni, processetti, notificazioni 1862
FHL INTL Film 1363041

Hoping she was not born on 1861 (missed year) :lol:

If you'll be lucky you'll find her birth act and on her birth act there must be also the Annotation of her Marriage with Domenico....

Don't know if you're familiar with the Family History Centers:

this is the link to find the Center nearest to you:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

this is the link to find the Town microfilmed:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

Laura
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

Laura,
Thank you so much. I had all of the census data from Pgh from 1910 on, but didn't have the one from Mahoning County. Also, I don't know how you found all of these passages so easily; I've been looking for a year!

I do use the Family Resource Ctr and have all of the Pescocostanza data that exists on permanant loan. I will try to find her again; I did find Dominic's birth records. I was also lucky in that he went back to Italy at age 60 and filled out a passport app. that included the only known picture of him. Also listed his father's name, DOB, etc.

I went back and checked the 1910 census data and it does list their marriage as the first for both and before the date of the birth of my grandmother. So, I'm sure she (Maria Flora Stella) is the actual birth mother of my grandmother. I still can't understand why the church records from her marriage would list her mother's name as Annunciata di Lanso. Maybe they mixed up my grandfather and grandmother's mother's names. I'm also wondering if it should read di Sansa, as I read on an Italian forum that this name is found in a village close to Pescocosanza.

Again, I am so grateful for your help. -Leslie
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

I rechecked Dominic's birth record and found the note of his marriage. It says that he married Maria Pasqua Donatelli 19 Nov 1879. The note begins with the name, Dominico Ranallo (not sure why this name is at the top of the note; on the birth record he is clearly Dominico Buccigrossi, and his father is Francesco Buccigrossi and his mother is Dorotea Ferrante). At the bottom of the note it days Aquila followed by 27 Feb 1888 and followed by a small notation I can't read.

Now I believe the church mixed up the mothers of the bride and groom. They listed the groom's mother as Maria Donatelli and the bride's mother as Annuciata di (S)Lanza. Looks like the mother of the bride who was married to Dominic Buccigrossi was Maria Pasqua Donatelli and that she went by Maria Flora Stella. Could the Stella be short for Donatelli? In her death records from the church they list her parents as Felice and Pasqua Farmelli. Maybe it should be Felice Donatelli and Flora Pasqua.

I had no idea about the notes on the side of the birth record. Thanks so much. I'm going to go back and check all of these for notes. -Leslie
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome Leslie... I'm glad I helped you...

Can you scan and post here a copy of Domenico's birth act?
Me or other members can help you deciphering the annotations....
At the bottom of the note it days Aquila followed by 27 Feb 1888 and followed by a small notation I can't read
Maybe Domenico's first wife died and he married Maria Flora Stella on February 1888, this makes sense as their daughter Marta was born just after 9 months (November 1888) ..... :!:

Laura
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

I tried using the attach feature and it just would take the document. It's a jpg microfishe. I kept getting a note across the top of the page that says the attachment is too big. I'm going to try to resize it. Could I email it to you?
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

One more try.
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

One more try.
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

Oh no. I had the wrong record. Here is Dominic's and, unfortunately, there are no added notes. Oh my. I'll have to start again and see if I can find her birth record. Sorry for the confusion. -Leslie