Translation of a 1901 marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lngrid

Translation of a 1901 marriage record

Post by lngrid »

Hi. I don't read intalian, but I used to be fluent in French. This is the marriage record of my best friend's grandmother. If I could get help wlith its translation, I'm sure I would be able to figure out the marriage records of many of her ancestors. She and I would be very grateful for any help anyone would want to give.

Warning: the link goes to a thumbnail, and the original image is 17Mb in size.

http://snipurl.com/v6oan
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Translation of a 1901 marriage record

Post by maestra36 »

I tried saving the image in a photo program to enlarge it, but no luck. It is too small as is. I suggest you use http://photobucket.com/. There are others on this forum who can help you with this website, if you do not understand how to upload your image.
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Thanks so much for trying, maestra. I don't think I can upload it to Photobucket. It was too large for either Imageshack or Google Sites to accept. However, I was able to upload it to Google Documents and changed the permissions so everyone can see it. Does that work for you?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Transcription:

Uffiziale dello Stato Civile del Comune di San Fili
è comparso Turano Salvatore Maria celibe di anni venti, brac-
ciante residente in San Fili (Bucita) figlio di Michele
bracciante di anni _____ residente in Bucita, San Fili
figlio di Mazzulla Maria Rosaria residente
in detto luogo; è pure comparsa Perri Maria Lucia nubile
di anni diciannove, contadina residente in Bucita S. Fili
figlia di fu Pietro di anni _____
residente in S. Fili in vita figlia di Luchetta Concetta
residente in Bucita …
i quali mi hanno richiesto di fare le pubblicazioni pel matrimonio che in questo Ufficio
intendono celebrare essi sposi
e mi han dichiarato lo sposo essere nato in Bucita san Fili la sposa in
detto luogo avere avuto essi sposi da un anno ad oggi la residenza nel
Comune di San Fili, non avere
padre né madre adottivi, non ostare al loro matrimonio alcun impedimento di parentela
o di affinità, né altro impedimento stabilito dalla legge.
Queste dichiarazioni sono state confermate, con giuramento prestato nelle forme legali, da
Lio Salvatore fu Antonio, di anni trentasette, muratore, e da
Comasio(?) Giuseppe fu Domenico di anni trenta, muratore, ambi
ambi residenti in questo Comune, testimoni presenti all’atto ecc. ecc.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Ingrid the Italian model for a marriage record follows the French since Napoleon established the bureaucracy (shades of the mining engineer Fayol!!!) in Itgaly around the 1800-1815 poeriod and adopted by the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies in Southern Italy and then sporadically thruout the papal states and northern Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

I apologize for the huge size of the file. This is the first time I've saved an image digitally from a microfilm reader. The film is so small and the registers have been oriented in such a way on it that I had to use the most powerful lens to get the print to be a readable size, even for the staff at the history center. It was not at all this large in the reader. I had no idea how large the file (and image) was until I got home.

Thank you, Lucap, for the transcription. It was a huge help and I was able to translate that loosely as,

"Before the State Officer of the Comune of San Fili appeared the bachelor Salvatore Mario Turano, age twenty, farm laborer, a resident of San Fili (Bucita) who is the son of Michele, farm laborer, of (BLANK) age, also a resident of San Fili (Bucita) and Maria Rosaria Mazzula a resident of that same place. Maria Lucia Perri, a maiden nineteen years of age, a female peasant and and a resident of Bucita, San Fili, daughter of (........) Pietro (BLANK) years old residing in San Fili (........), and Lucchetta Concetta resident Bucita (........) also appeared.

They have posted their banns of marriage in this office and intend to celebrate their wedding, have declared the bride and groom be born in San Fili Bucita, they have been engaged for a year and now reside in the Comune of San Fili. They have no adoptive father or mother, no hindrence of kinship or affinity or other impediment established by law.

These statements were confirmed by oath in legal forms by Salvatore Antonio Lio (..) Antonio, thirty-seven year old mason, and (........) Giuseppi (..) Domenico, thirty year old mason, both residents in the Comune and witnesses present at the time. I examined the documents presented to me, and (........) by my sight included in the volume of the Annexes to this register, declare that the publications will be in San Fili. The documents, copies of birth certificates of the spouses; issued by..."

(I can't really read what follows until we get to the signatures of the bride, groom and witnesses.)

Have I strayed very far off the mark in this translation?

I'm still having trouble reading the last handwritten part. I'll try posting just that part of the image in the next post. I would be grateful for help with that, because I'm having trouble reading the clerk's handwriting in this poor-quality image.
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Here is the part of the record I'm having trouble reading. I'm on the computer with the image editing software now so I reduced it to a more civilized size:

I can't pretend to any kind of exposure to native Italian culture so what I can read of the above is:

"... Ufizziale di questo stato civile ... di ventecinque Febbraio ... presentati ... atto di morti (?) ... presentati i ... dello sposo ... della sposa

I'm just not good yet at deciphering this handwriting. I sure would be grateful for any help anyone would offer.
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

If anyone is interested, this is the result of the marriage whose registration you are helping me dicipher:

My best friend's father is the spiffy young man in knee pants.

And this is Salvatore and Lucia at their fiftieth wedding anniversary:
They've seen it all: two world wars and 10 children grown to honorable adulthood. I like how they've posed so their wedding rings are just visible, but not enough to look like boasting. And, no, Lucia's hair never went grey.

My friend and I are truly grateful for all the effort you put forth for families like this.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

I documenti sono le copie degli atti di nascita degli sposi rilasciati da
me Ufficiale di questo Stato Civile addì venticinque febbraio an-
no corrente. La sposa ha presentato altresì l'estratto del-
l'atto di morte rilasciato anche da me in data suddetta. Sono
anche presentati (= presenti) i genitori dello sposo nonché la madre della
sposa i quali tutti danno il loro consenso al presente matrimonio.
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti viene sottoscritto dagli
sposi, dai testimoni e da me essendo gli altri analfabeti.

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

lngrid wrote:These statements were confirmed by oath in legal forms by Salvatore Antonio Lio (fu= son of the deceased) Antonio, thirty-seven year old mason, and (Comasio= surname) Giuseppe (fu= son of the deceased) Domenico, thirty year old mason, both residents in the Comune and witnesses present at the time...
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Thank you, Lucap! I'm going to see my friend on Sunday and I can't wait to work my way through this and show it to her then. She's so excited!

I have learned a lot from you. There is much, much more for me to learn but you have helped me a great deal to start to learn to read hand-written Italian.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

lngrid wrote:Hi. I don't read intalian, but I used to be fluent in French. This is the marriage record of my best friend's grandmother. If I could get help wlith its translation, I'm sure I would be able to figure out the marriage records of many of her ancestors. She and I would be very grateful for any help anyone would want to give.

Warning: the link goes to a thumbnail, and the original image is 17Mb in size.

http://snipurl.com/v6oan
Hi Ingrid,

You did great with the translation. The document you posted above is a Publication (Pubblicazioni).

Here is the translation, all you have to do is change the names, dates, and the town's name.

The year one thousand eight hundred eighty-one, the ninth of November at the hour of four post meridian and thirty minutes, in the Town Hall before me Francesco Greco and the and the Official of Vital Records of Isca, appeared Antonio Aiello, age twenty-four, of profession laborer, residing in Isca, son of Francesco Aiello, age fifty-three, a laborer, residing in Isca, and son of Teresa Presenza, seamstress, residing in Isca.

Maria Coroniti age twenty-three, seamstress resident of Isca, daughter of Pasquale, age fifty, a land owner, residing in Isca, and of Elizabetta Martello, a seamstress, resident of the same place

They have requested me to make publication of marriage in this office which they intend to celebrate, these newlyweds Aiello and Coroniti; and they have declared the groom was born in Isca and the bride in Isca. The newlyweds have lived from one year to today in residence in the town of Isca. They do not have an adoptive father nor an adoptive mother, there are not any other impediments of relationship or affinity obstructing their marriage, nor any other impediment according to the law. These declarations are verified, by taking an oath in the legal form, from Vincenzo Varano, age twenty-eight, property owner and from Nicola Varano, age twenty-eight, property owner, both residing in this Town, witnesses present at the act. I examined the documents presented to me and provided my approval inserted in the volume of annexed records to this register, declaring that the publication would be made in Isca.

The documents are: the copy of the birth record of the groom issued by The Officer of the Vital Records or the town of Isca dated last August sixth, and a copy of the birth record of the bride issued by myself today. Others appearing at the present act are the parents of the groom, who give their consent to the requested marriage. I read the present act to all the participants with me undersigned the groom, the father of the groom and the witnesses, and not the others because they are illiterate.

Signatures

Here is the translation on the side where they list the banns.

Number 13

Antonio Aiello & Maria Coroniti

Today thirteen November one thousand eight hundred eighty one the day of Sunday was affixed to the door of this Town Hall the publication related to the act herewritten

-The Office of Vital Records-

Antonio DiIorio

Today the twentieth of November one thousand eight hundred eighty one the day of Sunday was affixed to the door of this Town Hall the second publication related to the act herewritten. The first publication remained continuously affixed to this day.

-The Office of Vital Records-

Antonio DiIorio

The proceeding publication up to the day of today twenty-four November one thousand eight hundred eighty-one and thus for three days was continuously affixed to the door of the Town Hall.

The Office of Vital Records
Antonio DiIorio

The rule of thumb but not always the case, was that the Banns of Marriage were posted on a Sunday, then seven days later on a Sunday, and then 4 days later on Thursday, and then on the upcoming Sunday they were married. So the above marriage that I posted, the couple should have been married on Sunday, the 27th.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

lngrid wrote:I apologize for the huge size of the file. This is the first time I've saved an image digitally from a microfilm reader. The film is so small and the registers have been oriented in such a way on it that I had to use the most powerful lens to get the print to be a readable size, even for the staff at the history center. It was not at all this large in the reader. I had no idea how large the file (and image) was until I got home.
Ingrid and all, the free application, "Irfanview", is a great image viewing/manipulation tool which works with all versions of Microsoft Windows. Among other features, it will enable you to easily adjust the size of an image file, crop/cut sections, play with contrast and brightness to improve readability, etc.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Brujaojos and jonnyonthespot! I had no idea how banns were handled in Italy at that time. I recall banns being asked when I was a girl in the Catholic church but they stopped posting them in the early eighties, I think.

Would registers carry the actually registration of the marriage, or is this as close as we get?

And thanks for the tip about Irfanview. I'm going to check it out right away. That should save people like me a lot of embarassment. hehehe.

ItalianGenealogy.com is WONDERFUL! **WOOHOO!**
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

lngrid wrote:Would registers carry the actually registration of the marriage, or is this as close as we get?
Hi Ingrid,

Are you using the microfilm from the Family History Center for San Fili in order to obtain records?

Here is the link for the film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... eno=486664

The film listed below should be the film that the record you posted came from.

Nati 1901-1910 Notificazioni, matrimoni, morti 1901-1910 -
FHL INTL Film [ 1641968 Item 2 ]

If it is, there is a good chance that on the film the actual marriage record could be listed. Sometimes the Publications are listed after the Marriage records. The Publication usually has more information on it such as the age of the father of the bride and the groom.

If there is no marriage record on the film, then you can figure out the date of marriage by the example I posted in the previous post. Also, you can always write directly to the town for an Extraction of the Marriage Record.

Here is the address in order to write.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di San Fili
Via XX Settembre
87037 San Fili CS
ITALY

Here is a link from ICC that will help you translate your letter into Italian.

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Here's a map of San Fili showing that Bucita is a locality of San Fili.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/078/116/mappa.html

Hope this helps some,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum