Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
I am attempting to trace both sides of the family, but my initial attempts have not been very fruitful. Older relatives are trying to locate any documentation they may have, but that might take a while. Here's what I do know:Paternal: Francisco Perrotti born in Vallata, Italy 10/17/1888. Died in Elizabeth, NJ 11/14/1970. Married Caroline Travisano (born in Vallata 2/11/1890-9/7/80) in 1912. Grandpa came to America in 1913 and Grandma came in 1916. Grandpa's parents were Gaetano Perrotti and Luigina Colicchio and Grandma's were Francisco Travisano and Lisann Vella. Maternal: Philomena (Scannelli) DeLuca was born in Vallata, Italy on 6/15/1900 and died in Elizabeth, NJ on 10/18/1981. She came here with her father, Lawrence Scannelli and brother Michael. Lawrence return but Grandma and Michael stayed. Her mother was Josephine DePaola. Grandpa Francisco DeLuca was born in Abruzzo, Italy 3/25/1890 and died in Elizabeth, NJ 1/10/68. He's the big mystery-I know his parents were Nicholas and Nunziata, but nothing else. He never rec'd any letters or visits from any family and never really spoke about his past (when he came to America, etc.) I know it's a lot but if anyone can steer me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. Thank you.
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
missperro,
Welcome to the Forum!
For records in Italy you've already found the critical piece that you need - their town of origin.
(and please excuse the length of this post)
For your Grandpa
Please let us know if you're missing any US records, we'd be happy to help you look.
Valarie
---
Your nearest Family History Center has civil records for Vallata on microfilm for 1809-1915.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
film notes for Vallata:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile &columns=*,0,0
Topic:
Italy, Avellino, Vallata - Civil registration
Titles: Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1915 Vallata (Avellino).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---
In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records
FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---
Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---
Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
---
Three terrific books
to help you find, read & understand your records:
Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research
By Tafford R Cole
google book link
A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link
Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link
Welcome to the Forum!
For records in Italy you've already found the critical piece that you need - their town of origin.
(and please excuse the length of this post)
For your Grandpa
you'll need to find a record (if possible) with his comune (town).Francisco DeLuca was born in Abruzzo, Italy
Please let us know if you're missing any US records, we'd be happy to help you look.
Valarie
---
Your nearest Family History Center has civil records for Vallata on microfilm for 1809-1915.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.
Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
film notes for Vallata:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... ato+civile &columns=*,0,0
Topic:
Italy, Avellino, Vallata - Civil registration
Titles: Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1915 Vallata (Avellino).
Ufficio dello stato civile
---
In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records
FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---
Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---
Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
---
Three terrific books
to help you find, read & understand your records:
Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research
By Tafford R Cole
google book link
A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link
Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Francesco DeLuca
If this is Francesco's 1930 census, it indicates he arrived about 1911.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9458/1930ny.jpg
Have you found his ship manifest? It should have his birth location.
---
Another clue:
possible 1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4492/1942m.jpg
and
possible 1917 WWI Card in Jersey City
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1906/1917f.jpg
Thank you, Valarie
If this is Francesco's 1930 census, it indicates he arrived about 1911.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/9458/1930ny.jpg
Have you found his ship manifest? It should have his birth location.
---
Another clue:
possible 1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4492/1942m.jpg
and
possible 1917 WWI Card in Jersey City
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1906/1917f.jpg
Thank you, Valarie
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Thank you so much, Valarie!
The census information matches Grandpa perfectly....names of children, employer, age when married, etc. The registration card matches birth date and the address when my 88 year old aunt lives to this day. The only difference on both is that my grandmother's name was always know to us as Philomena, but both list her name as Mary, which not even my mother or aunt were aware of. It is common in my mother's family that people are called by other than their first name. I will use both names when researching now.
You've given me information I did not have before, new resources in which to search and renewed incentive and enthusiasm. I can't thank you enough!
The census information matches Grandpa perfectly....names of children, employer, age when married, etc. The registration card matches birth date and the address when my 88 year old aunt lives to this day. The only difference on both is that my grandmother's name was always know to us as Philomena, but both list her name as Mary, which not even my mother or aunt were aware of. It is common in my mother's family that people are called by other than their first name. I will use both names when researching now.
You've given me information I did not have before, new resources in which to search and renewed incentive and enthusiasm. I can't thank you enough!
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Thank you for your note!
I'm so glad we could give you some new information.
Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.
Valarie
I'm so glad we could give you some new information.
Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.
Valarie
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
"Please let us know if you're missing any US records, we'd be happy to help you look." Valarie
Again, perhaps you can direct me to the best source to find this info.
I don't really have much documentation. I know that Grandpa and Grandma DeLuca were married in Elizabeth, NJ approx. 1920. Is it possible to locate a marriage certificate? And I know where and when they died so I would like to obtain death certs too. Again, your help is invaluable.
Again, perhaps you can direct me to the best source to find this info.
I don't really have much documentation. I know that Grandpa and Grandma DeLuca were married in Elizabeth, NJ approx. 1920. Is it possible to locate a marriage certificate? And I know where and when they died so I would like to obtain death certs too. Again, your help is invaluable.
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Hello missperro!
Quite a few states and counties have been putting these records online,
New Jersey isn't one of them
.
This is a terrific link to finding records in all states:
http://www.deathindexes.com/
Here are the addresses for records from Union County:
http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/dhss/vit ... unty=Union
In general, the NJ Archives can be a good resource for some records if your county(s) doesn't have them.
NJ Archives:
Quite a few states and counties have been putting these records online,
New Jersey isn't one of them
This is a terrific link to finding records in all states:
http://www.deathindexes.com/
Here are the addresses for records from Union County:
http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/dhss/vit ... unty=Union
In general, the NJ Archives can be a good resource for some records if your county(s) doesn't have them.
NJ Archives:
ValarieThe New Jersey State Archives has the following microfilm copies of New Jersey vital records:
Births: June 1878 to 1923
Marriages: June 1878 to 1940 (1901-1940 NO brides index)
Deaths: June 1878 to 1940
Since the Archives does not own the original records, we DO NOT provide mail reference service for these records.
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
I know that Grandpa DeLuca was born in Abruzzo, Italy. On one of his documents, it lists his birthplace as "Balanda". I cannot locate such a place. Has anyone heard of it?
It looks like he signed the card but it was most likely filled out by someone else? Perhaps with Grandpa's accent, it was what they heard but not exactly what he said?
It looks like he signed the card but it was most likely filled out by someone else? Perhaps with Grandpa's accent, it was what they heard but not exactly what he said?
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Maybe Bellante in Teramo Province
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
I can't seem to locate Grandpa or Grandma DeLuca's records from Ellis Island. I think Grandpa came over in 1911, but no luck with records. Grandma DeLuca was born in 1900 and came over with her father Lorenzo Scannielli(o) and her brother but can't find that either. I don't know what year she arrived in but I know she and Grandpa were married in 1920. Are there other ports on East Coast they could have arrived?
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
possible 1920 NY manifest, could she have used the given name Maria?missperro wrote:I... Grandma DeLuca was born in 1900 and came over with her father Lorenzo Scannielli(o) and her brother but can't find that either. I don't know what year she arrived in but I know she and Grandpa were married in 1920...
traveling with brother Michele
leaving mother Giuseppa in Vallata
joining father Lorenzo at 652 3rd Ave Elizabeth NJ
page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025
page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Not having any luck at all with Grandpa DeLuca.
Any suggestions if one can't locate info through Ellis Island?
Any suggestions if one can't locate info through Ellis Island?
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Everyone says that research is frustrating time-consuming and they are SO right. I thought that I had gotten as much information from the elders in my family as possible. I asked my mom and aunts time and time again if they could remember any more information or dates and they said no. My mom thought my maternal grandparents were married about 1919/1920 but wasn't sure. Then out of the blue she mentions that they were married on April 23, 1920 but we're not sure if it was in Elizabeth, NJ (Union County) or Newark, NJ (Essex County).
Do you have to know the exact place the marriage occurred? Would you obtain the records from the county or state?
As always, thanks for any assistance. It is much appreciated!
Do you have to know the exact place the marriage occurred? Would you obtain the records from the county or state?
As always, thanks for any assistance. It is much appreciated!
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
My name is Leo DePaola also my family came from Vallata. If I can help let me know.
Re: Perrotti/DeLuca/Scannielli/Travisano
Hi I know this is an old post but I believe Francisco perrotti was my grandfathers brother or uncle. My grandfather was Vito Rocco perrotti
Also from Vallata and came to Elizabeth.
Also from Vallata and came to Elizabeth.

