Molini immigrants to America via Mexico

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rogeliomolini

Molini immigrants to America via Mexico

Post by rogeliomolini »

Hello. I am hoping so much that somebody can connect for me the missing Italian link of my family.
My great great grandfather Louis (maybe Luigi) Molini somehow immigrated from Genoa to the Americas at around 1879 or 1885.
USA Census records in Texas say he immigrated to US in 1879. I know he he lived in Cuatro Cienegas, Coahuila Mexico for some time. He married Santos (or Santa Guajardo). They had children and then moved to Texas at around 1904.
Louis's death certificate provides the following details:
Name: Louis D. Moline (its a mispell, should be Molini)
Birthdate: April 15, 1853
Birthplace: Casoline, Genoa, Italy
Father's name: Jose Moline (also misspell and maybe Jose is Giuseppe in Italian?)
Mother's name: Jeronima Duke

Possibly the Casoline is spelled wrong? Maybe it is Casolle? I don't know.
I have other birth certificates of Louis's children and it is frustrating because the last name is spelled Molini is some, Molina in others and even his first name is spelled Luis in some. The 1910, 1920 & 1930 Census reports for Val Verde county, Del Rio, Texas show also Louis or Luis or Molini or Molinia and the children are all the same so I know they that is him. I used to talk to one of his son Jose Molini and daughter Carlotta Molini when I was young.

I would so much like to know if anyone has more information about his family roots in Genoa, Italy. For example, about his parents and any other children from them, also their children. I am also interested in immigration documents. Was any other relative travelling with him. What was his port of departure from Italy and port of entry to America or Mexico or South America? Dates of this?

Thank you so much for any effort you may put to this. I have been researching this for years but I have no access to Italian records. I am beginning to doubt if Luigi even came from Italy.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Molini immigrants to America via Mexico

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.italyworldclub.com/8000_ital ... i_casc.htm

There is a list of town names in Italy on this website. These are a few-check the site for others

# Caslino d'Erba, province: Como - region: Lombardy
# Casnate con Bernate, province: Como - region: Lombardy
# Casnigo, province: Bergamo - region: Lombardy
# Casola di Napoli, province: Napoli - region: Campania
# Casola in Lunigiana, province: Massa-Carrara - region: Tuscany
# Casola Valsenio, province: Ravenna - region: Emilia Romagna
# Casole Bruzio, province: Cosenza - region: Calabria
# Casole d'Elsa, province: Siena - region: Tuscany
# Casoli, province: Chieti - region: Abruzzo
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian_f ... -casta.htm

This is a list of frazioni or hamlets (parts of towns or suburbs of towns)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

This is a list of all of the frazioni or sections of Genoa. I don't see anything on this list that is even remotely close to the spelling you found-

* Cadale
* Ca' Nuova
* Campi
* Carignano
* Casa dei Ratti
* Calcinara
* Camaldoli
* Campasso
* Canevari
* Cartagenova
* Carpenara
* Castellaro
* Castelletto
* Certosa
* Cesino
* Chiappetto
* Ciappa
* Ciassi
* Ciazza
* Cornigliano
* Coronata
* Corte Lambruschini
* Croce Pinasco
* Cremeno
* Crevari
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If you go to www.familysearch.org and search the surname Molini, you will see that there are entries from Casalino, Montoggio, Genova.

This is probably what you are looking for. Montoggio is a town or comune in the Province of Genova (Genoa). Casalino is probably a frazioni or hamlet or district within that comune or town.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Italy, Genova, Montoggio - Civil registration
Titles Registri dello stato civile di Montoggio (Genova), 1866-1910 Montoggio (Genova). Ufficio dello stato civile

There are micofilmed records available for this town through rentals from a local Mormon (LDS) family history center.

www.familysearch.org (above is from the library catalog)

Here is also an official website for that town

http://www.comune.montoggio.ge.it/
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.comune.montoggio.ge.it/conte ... =85&sez=10

There is a map on the town website above on which you will see Casalino
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Since there are no microfilmed records earlier than 1866, I would write directly to the town to try to get a copy of an estratto or extract of your Luigi's birth record. If it is not housed in the town itself, the official there should indicate to you where it would be located.
rogeliomolini

Post by rogeliomolini »

Wow, amazing. How do you find all this info so fast. You are awesome.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks for the compliment. I've been doing Italian genealogy research since 1997 and have just learned a lot over the years by doing my own research.
Good luck with yours.
rogeliomolini

Post by rogeliomolini »

Ciao,
Me chiamo Rogelio Molini e adesso abito en la Finlandia.
Louis Molini era el mio bisnonno i credo que Louis e venuttu para Amerika di Casalino, Montoggio, Genoa.
Può confermare cualcuno?
Volio sapere de la famiglia Molini de Casalino. Richiesto que me escribere qualcuno de la famiglia Molini. Volio conocere e posible incontrare.
Escusii que non parlo bene Italiano. Sono Amerikano e parlo inglesi e espanola.

Io sono el figlio de Francisco Jr. Molini figlio de Francisco Mollini figlio de Louis Molini figlio de Jose Molini y Jeronima Duke

El certificato de mort e escrito Moline pero deve sere Molini.

Per favore richiesto el suo aiuti. Volio sapere si da vero el mio Famigle eri originatto di Casalino.
Scribere al email: nalle1960@hotmail.com

Grazie,
Rogelio Molini
rogeliomolini

Post by rogeliomolini »

Oh man. :( I think I have once again hit a dead end.
Thanks to maesta36 at least I possibly found Casalino and I already wrote to the comune of Montoggio. But I have yet to see answers.
At this point here are the facts:
Death certificate of Louis D. Molini says he was born from Casoline, Genoa in 1853 (they probably meant Casalino) to parents Jose Molini and Jeronima Duke.
I get negative results on all searches for Jose or Jeronima and Duke for Casalino. Molini exist.
But my big mystery is how did Louis end up in Cuatro Cienegas, Coahuila, Mexico? Census reports say he entered US in 1879. But I find absolutely no ship manifest near this.
Why does his mother have the last name Duke. Could this have been Duchi?
Or,... could
Could this Molini family at some point immigrated to Argentina? There are many Molini there and also first name Jeronima.
Does anyone else have other ideas? Please help. :cry:
I wanted to add the DC as attachment but I get error that max size 256 is reached of
rogeliomolini

Post by rogeliomolini »

I'm trying to attach a copy of Louis D. Molini's death certificate but I always get the message about "max filesize for attachments is reached" No matter how small I make it.
paoletta

Post by paoletta »

Dear Rogelio,
do you still need help with this? I am Italian and my father is from Casalino (small village in Liguria, what we call a "fraction" of Montoggio), I am pretty sure your great great grandfather was from here, my great great grandfather (from dad side) was a Molini even if I am not from the Molini family myself. However there are so many Molini in this village that your task will be pretty hard. I will ask my grandmothers, but most likely they will not remember since they are too young (but sometimes you know they heared stories whern they were little). Do not expect much from Montoggio, the old archives burned and in general people from here are not extremely welcoming or helpful (it is a well known trait of people from Liguria).
I think ( only a supposition) that Jeronima Duke could actually be Delucchi (a very common surname as well around here).
I am doing some researches for my own family, (even if I am not as far as you and I am not very constant), however while looking for relatives on my grandmother side (both her parents were Molini not related) I will keep an eye, however as I said they are ALL Molini in Casalino!! :D
rogeliomolini

Post by rogeliomolini »

Thank you Paoletta,

I will look up that Delucchi last name. So far I know that my great great grandfather Louis (Luigi) Molini married in Cuatro Ciengas, Mexico in 1890. Louis's parents in Casalino were Jose Molini and Geronima Lugui (not Duke).
What I don't know is how Louis eneded up in Cuatro Cienegas. Obviously by boat but I have found no ship manifest, list, nothing. I would really like to know this and also if there are ancesters from the same Molini family tree in Casalino.
Thank you so much for posting here. I had not visited here is a while. Best also is to write to my email: rogeliomolini@gmail.com
Best regards, Rogelio