advice needed

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

advice needed

Post by themilitantcatholic »

If one or some of the veterans could give me advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am in the process of Jus Sanguinis from my paternal grandfather, I have all of the documents needed except for my grandmother's birth certificate. There is a discrepancy with her place of birth; on my dad's Delayed Record of Birth, it states that she was born in Chicago Heights, IL., on my grandfather's Declaration of Intention, it states that she was born in Italy. There is no record of her birth in Illinois. On the Ellis Island website, it shows that she came here at the age of 10 months, I tried through an Italian Citizenship Assistance Program to get her birth certificate from the town of Italy that she was from with no result. Someone from here then informed me to try and get my great-grandmother's birth and marriage certificate from Italy. I sent a Registered letter back in February, in March I received the signed receipt that they received the letter, yet I have not received any info. Since there is no record of her being born in the U.S. and if I do not receive a record from Italy, should I get an official "no record of birth"? Would that be the simple solution?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: advice needed

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Which consulate will you be using?

Although many consulates insist you obtain documents for both the direct and non-direct line ancestors, when it comes time to actually submit they ignore the extraneous certificates. Put another way, there is a better than 50-50 chance you will not even be asked for your grandmother's birth certificate.

Italian law regarding jure sanguinis seems to be clear - the applicant only needs to show an unbroken bloodline from him/herself to a single Italian citizen ancestor. In theory, you could be the bastard child (that is, the product of a sexual liason outside of marriage) of a bastard child of a bastard child and still claim citizenship.

Don't lose any sleep over this one.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Re: advice needed

Post by themilitantcatholic »

I'll be using the Consulate in Chicago. I do have my grandparent's marriage certificate and my grandmother's death certificate.