Read this NY town -- also Antonio ???

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Read this NY town -- also Antonio ???

Post by donnawright »

Two separate listings are included here. Both say Antonio ???? and have the same New York town. Anyone read these?

Sorry I had attachments, but they won't load.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Read this NY town -- also Antonio ???

Post by cvwalters »

donnawright wrote:Two separate listings are included here. Both say Antonio ???? and have the same New York town. Anyone read these?

Sorry I had attachments, but they won't load.
Hi -

Is the last name listed a ???? on the manifest? I assume you are looking at a manifest. I very familar with NY towns since that is were my concentration of anscetors are.

Let me know and I will search it out and see if I can help you out.

Thanks!
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

Traveler #18: Cousin Antonio ___________, 164 Box, ______________NY. This passenger originally was written as going to Wellsville OH. It is scratched out and a NY town is written in. The NY town is right beside the last name and NY is on the line below.

Passenger #25: Same NY town, Cousin Antonio ___________, same Box 164

Passenger #21 is stated going to Hartford Conn, but notice the same name as #18 for his contact person is the same as 18, and 18 is circled there.

I was hoping someone very familiar with NY towns would respond. Thanks!
Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

Traveler #18: Cousin Antonio ___________, 164 Box, ______________NY. This passenger originally was written as going to Wellsville OH. It is scratched out and a NY town is written in. The NY town is right beside the last name and NY is on the line below.

Passenger #25: Same NY town, Cousin Antonio ___________, same Box 164

Passenger #21 is stated going to Hartford Conn, but notice the same name as #18 for his contact person is the same as 18, and 18 is circled there.

I was hoping someone very familiar with NY towns would respond. Thanks!
Donna
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

looks like the town is Herkimer
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

#'s 25 and 26 are also going to the same person.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hello MJ :D !

Possibly Antonio Varano.

See following manifest (Also from Pianopoli. Previously in US 1903-1914 in New York, destination Herkimer NY):

1920 manifest page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0017

1920 manifest page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0017

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi Biff, I agree.

At first I thought it was a "N" but you are right as usual. It is Varano.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

I would agree that it does looks like Herkimer NY. Herkimer is located just outside of my search area of Utica. In fact I have a couple of relatives who live in Herkimer County.

I looked through the census records and there does seem to be alot of Tomaino's in the Utica / Rome region, but I didn't see any in Herkimer.

There is an Antonio and Angline Varano in Herkimer in the 1930 Census. Accoring to the record he came in about 1904, which would fit with Biff's 1920 Manifest's.

As for your relative, do you know where Tommaso lived? I had a distant relative who came to Utica, like the rest of my ancestors, but ended up going to Pennsylvania to live. So who knows. It does seem from the 1909 manifest that Tommaso had been in this country before. Did he go back to Wellsboro?
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

I am sorry I meant Wellsville......
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I'm not sure where he ended up. I didn't know about this person until another respondent here found him. His 1909 manifest was transcribed incorrectly as him being from Sanafoli when it is clearly Pianopoli, and that's how I missed him in the first place. I THINK this man Tomaso Tomaino could be a first cousin to my grandfather Tommaso Tomaino - sons of brothers - and this Tomaso is also of Pianopoli and ten years younger than my GF. Yes, Tomaino went to Utica and I think time will tell if I have a Utica connection; so far everything has been in Wellsville until this Tomaino showed up, and since he visited Wellsville in 1906 I'm feeling pretty good about him being mine! Just have to prove it now. Utica has been named before regarding Tomaino, but not in the context of MY Tomaino line, but another.

I'm very pleased with all this input. Discovery is fabulous!

Donna
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

Is is possible he went back to Italy? My great grandmother's brother came to Utica twice, but ended up going back to stay in Italy for some reason or another.

I did find a Thomas Tomaino and family living in Utica in the 1920 Census. Thomas birth year was listed as 1869, migration 1890 and naturalization 1894. I doubt that is your Tommaso, but I thought to point it out since you mentioned the connection to being cousins because of the traditional shared first names.

Discovery is fabulous! Using the Italian traditional naming conventions, I was able to concluded that my gggf actually had a brother here. My great aunt than verified through his children, that the info was true.

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide with that region of NY state.

Good Luck!

Christine