Help with some latin words

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
bottino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 129
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 05:14
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Help with some latin words

Post by bottino »

In this photo of a birth record
http://img101.imageshack.us/i/img2276a.jpg/
I am trying to decipher a couple of words from the Gros record.
First his name, second his father's name. Finally there is a word, just before the grandfather's name. It appears in every record and I am curious what it means.
Thanks
Paul
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Help with some latin words

Post by maestra36 »

cannot see the entire image-I see Laurentis, at the beginning. Laurentis is Lorenzo, I believe.
User avatar
bottino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 129
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 05:14
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Help with some latin words

Post by bottino »

Yes, I think you are right, I am curious as to his father's name also, and the fifth word on the line, just before the grandfather's name. I am curious what it means. It is in every record. I left most of the record off to look just at the words of interest. I am just having problems with this handwriting. but also the meaning of that one word.
Thank you
Paul
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help with some latin words

Post by liviomoreno »

My 2 €cents...

Laurentius filius Simonis xxx q(uon)dam Thomas

Lorenzo son of Simone son of the deceased Tommaso
User avatar
bottino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 129
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 05:14
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Help with some latin words

Post by bottino »

Thank you so much. Now I remember that notation for q(uon)dam, "who is dead" . Thanks for the very helpful lesson.
Paul
Post Reply