Adult children

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

Adult children

Post by bmilazzo »

What exactly do my children who are 18+ years old have to do for Italian citizenship? Assume I have received my Italian citizenship.
What does my wife have to do?
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Adult children

Post by Rodio »

A few consulates in the US have allowed a parent to register their adult children with an apostilled, translated BC. Others may have your children make an appointment and reference your application to have their citizenship recognized.

If you were married prior to April 27? 1983, your wife was considered an Italian citizen when you were married. If you married after this date, she must file an application for recognition jure matrimoni. This involves getting more paperwork, including a criminal history from each state she resided since her teens, plus a €200 fee. Check with your consulate for the exact requirements.
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bmilazzo »

Thank you. Guess we should have been married 1 1/2 months earlier.

Why April 27, 1983?
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

On that date the law was changed in Italy.

Also, I forgot to mention after your wife applies for citizenship through marriage, it can take up to 2 years for Rome to approve it. Then she must go to the consulate and take an oath of naturalization.
bmilazzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bmilazzo »

I'm confused. When I am granted citizenship it is as if I were an Italian citizen from birth. So anyone I marry would be a citizen as well as my children?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

If you are a male and married prior to (or, is it "on or before"?) April 27, 1983, your wife automatically became a citizen on the day you wed; regardless of whether you knew at the time that you had this right to citizenship jure sanguinis. This did not work for men who married Italian women, by the way - only for women who married Italian men.

The concept is, that you were Italian from birth, whether you realized it or not. Therefore, all of your children instantly gain citizenship rights the moment your own citizenship has been recognized.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

To clarify the other point regarding the April 27, 1983 cutoff for automatic spousal citizenship, I think it fair to assume that the law was changed to eliminate "marriage of convenience" solely for the sake of obtaining citizenship. Even if that was not the reason for the change, it is certainly a major impact.

If married after that date, citizenship by naturalization is available to the spouse if certain tests can be met. Among these is local/state/federal background checks for every location the new spose ever resided and a minimum length of marriage of 2 years if residing in Italy or 3 years if anywhere else.

The process is spelled out here http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/exe ... =Published
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

To clarify about your children: yes they are Italian citizens. When a person applies for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis, that person is required to list their minor children on their application and provide their BC's. Those minor children are also registered in AIRE and can obtain passports.

With adult children, they need to be registered at their consulate of residence if they want their citizenship recognized as their parent's was. As in my previous post, some consulates in the US allow the parent to bring a apostilled and translated BC of an adult child to the consulate of the parent and the adult child is registered and can apply for a passport. Other consulates require that the adult child make a formal appointment and apply jure sanguinis and reference your previous application at your consulate.

Hope this helps.