Could use some help...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SFedora

Could use some help...

Post by SFedora »

Hi, my surname is Fedora, my family believes that we are italian, though we are not sure. We're looking for any possible proof of this, the problem stems from the fact that my grandfather(now deceased)'s parents died in a car accident when he was still at a young age, and he had no relations in the US at the time. On the net we have been able to find information linking the fedora name to both Hungary and Italy, but as Fedora is not a Hungarian name to any extent it would seem that it might be Italian. It's possible that our name may have been altered but theres no way to be sure, I don't believe. Also it's notable that my grandfather's first language is Italian, though before he was orphaned, but we haven't been able to figure out if we are originally Italian or perhaps just lived there for a few generation, as we have not been able to find any evidence to support this, thus far. Any help would be appreciated.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Could use some help...

Post by ptimber »

iNTERESTING STORY BUT YOU PROVIDE NO DATES OR PLACES OF ENTRY INTO THE USA. Whilet could be an italian name fedora is not listed in the italian surname dictionary as an italian surname. There are two areas where Fedora surnamed persons currently reside. One is in the Rome area and the other is in the Bologna area but the names appears to be part of businesses not people. I could have checked it out more thoroguhly but you didn't even furnish his first name. Sorry Peter
SFedora

Post by SFedora »

my grandfather was born in 1918 or that was when his parents died(or im just getting it confused with world war I b/c it was the same time period)...i can check though, his name was william and i dont know the names of either of his parents :(
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

check out the ellis island website for his entry and if he died after 1963 it might show up in the social securiy death index. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is one William fedora born 1920 and died 1971 in Illinois. You can obtain his orignal application for social security by clicking ion SS-5 in death index. This will have all his vital info (if he didn't lie). Peter
SFedora

Post by SFedora »

he died this yr in NC actually...my grandfather i mean
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

he should be in the social security death index.Go there. Peter
mackie13624

Post by mackie13624 »

I just thought I would let you know that I have searched for both of my parents (death dates 1981 and 2003) and have not found either of them on the websites. Writing in like Peter said is probably your best bet.
Gina Wirth
SFedora

Post by SFedora »

i think he was born here he jus learned it from parents they died when he was like 6 or so i believe. so could i still get the info from the ellis island site then?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

provided you have their full names and they entered the USA after 1892 to 1924 This is on the presumption they entered at NYC since threy could have entered at Boston, Philadelphia, baltimore or New orleans or any other port in the USA. Peter