Totally motivated now...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Totally motivated now...

Post by AmyT »

To learn Italian.

Does anyone find a particular 'Learning Italian' dvd set or cd set to be better or worse?

Keep in mind I'm totally inept and need all the help I can get when it comes to learning a new language. Although 'spanglish' is not considered a language per se it's the only 'other' language I know. :lol:

Thanks,

Amy
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Totally motivated now...

Post by ptimber »

MOTIVATION to learn is the basis for learning anything including a language. There is no replacement for study. Anything that you pick will be fine provided it teaches you the language. frankly my dear, if you want to learn the language you learnthe grammar and not speak it until you know how to say....I go, he goes and he or she goes, we go and they go ( io vado, tu vai, lei va, noi andiamo loro vanno) and all the other verbs which you take for granted in english has to be memorized for a foregin languiage because you were not raised with the language as a child. No matter what you do, what you study or where you go, nothing will you learn better than going to Italy and attending italian language there so you can speak it every waking moment and in about two months you will be able to converse on a modest basis. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

So I guess my friend's idea of buying a villa in Tuscany isn't such a bad idea.. ;)

Really though she said we could have horrible plumbing problems. A friend of mine who goes to Florence regularly told me that once I get there I'll start thinking in Italian too. I wish she could help me but she's always traveling and currently is off to Germany, then to Italy for a ski trip... *sigh* ~Oh to the choices I screwed up..
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

So leave lala land and go to Italy, get a job there and work the language with the guys and girls you meet. Thats the fastest, best way to learn a language and possilby find Mr Right. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter~

Mr. Right eh? Now who is being romantic?

I've got a Mr. RightNow... does that count?

My friend Megan was there on her honeymoon and suggested when she and her husband decide to move that it was a welcome idea to share the expenses of a place to live there..

My friend Reagan (aka seasoned traveler 5-1,000,000) languages wants to settle in Nashville of all places... go figure!

Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

BASTA!!!!!!!!!(enough) This is not genealogy. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Neither is this particular forum...

"Italian language, handwriting, script & translations"

:P
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You win!. peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Question about verbs... (going back to my original thoughts..)

As a child I was fluent in French.. we stopped speaking it regularly when I was like 4, so I remember jack and squat about it. I also know some Latin having gone to Catholic grade school... so my question is, is Italian similar with verbs or certain sounds?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Italian,franch and spanish are latin based and follow similar grammatical rules but ther still significant disparity in verbal conjugations and orthographic changing verbs to warrant studying each language separately. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Motivation may well be important in learning a language, but one quick way to loose it is to get bogged down with all the grammar right from the start. Do you seriously think that Italian mothers teach their children to speak by conjugating irregular verbs to them? Is that how you learned to speak English?

Repetition is key, but sticking one of those learn-a-language-in-a-week CDs in your car will drive you nuts. Try listening to the radio. Music has the unique ability to make constant repetition bearable. When you pick up enough to catch the name of your favourite tracks, it's simple enough to download the lyrics from the net and study them in your own time with your favourite grammar books and thumbscrews. If you get really stuck, I am sure someone here will help you out a bit. Pronunciation can be a little messed up to fit the music, but that’s what the talking bits between tracks are for.

That’s how my mum learned to speak English. (Without the download bit though). One of her oft repeated stories is how she blew weeks and weeks wages on her first radio, and blesses every penny to this day.

Go to http://www.radio.rai.it/ and click on one of the radio stations down the right hand side under ASCOLTA. If you feel a bit more youthful than I do these days, you might like to try http://www.videoitalia.it/ this time the instructions are in English. RAI is the state broadcaster, and Radio Italia is an Italian only station, no irritating English stuff.

Remember, listening to the radio is entertaining. If you pick up any Italian, think of it as a bonus.

One last bit of advice, avoid RAI International. It is every bit as bad as Voice of America, BBC World Service, Deutsche Welle and all those other stations meant for “themâ€Â
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Deliboy,

Definitely an interesting approach. I'm fairly sure I can find a few online places to listen on.

Youthful depends on what your definition is. I seriously doubt they have an Italian version of Tori Amos, or any of the other random artists I listen to. However I am sometimes surprised by Spanish radio, when it's not polka based, I can tolerate it.

Thanks for the idea.

Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What deliboy did not understand is that you were never in a position to be talked to in Italian as a child and consequently learning the language in this fashion at this stage of your life is not possible on a day to day basis at home. This means that learning the language is subjective and his suggestion about tapes and radio and all that noise nonsense while excellent during wartime when motivation is provided by life or death consequences as in WW11, is not fueled being in a car or dwadling on your couch. I suggested either going to Italy and learning by doing,talking and attending language class on a daily basis to enhance learning the language or do what is always the very best thing to do which is to learn by using the orthodox method of buying an Italian grammar book, doing the lessons ione at a time and memorizing verbs and idiomatic expressions by rote so that you will be in a position to create your own sentgences by merely conjugating verbs and using memorized vocabulary. as an example I go to school....IO VADO (verb andare) a scuola. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

What is interesting here is that learning in a class while it would be best for someone like me, as I am a visual/physical learner, a lot of people just learn in different ways.

I've already looked into classes at my local J/C for this specifically, after all how can I go live in a Villa in Tuscany without communication?

:)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You do not have to go to Tuascany you can learn Itaslian grammar, memorize verbs and augment vocabulary and you will be able to create sentences and speak correctly without ever leaving Lala land. peter