Everyday italiano

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Everyday italiano

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Some of you may have noticed that my mind wanders in strange directions now and then...

I have a question for our members who live their daily lives in Italia and are native or near-native speakers of the language.

I think it fair to say that the typical American delicatessen customer might request "a quarter pound" of prosciutto or "a half pound" of genoa salami (give me these two - have to be really thinly sliced - and a good loaf of bread and I am a happy man!). When an Italiano makes a similar purchase, is he more likely to request "un ottavo chilo/chilogrammo di prosciutto" or "cento grammi di prosciutto"?

Do Italians use both forms (ottavo-, quarto-, mezzo chilo and cento-, due cento-, cinquecento grammi) in daily life or is one preferred and the other rarely or never used?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Everyday italiano

Post by liviomoreno »

In Italy we generally use:

Un etto = 100 grams
Due etti e mezzo = 250 grams
mezzo chilo = 1 Kg
Sette etti = 700 grams
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

liviomoreno wrote:In Italy we generally use:

Un etto = 100 grams
Due etti e mezzo = 250 grams
mezzo chilo = 1 Kg
Sette etti = 700 grams
You see, that is the problem with learning italiano by any means other than simply moving to Italy and being immersed in the culture.

etto? ettogrammo? If 100 is cento and one-tenth is decimo, where does etto come from??

Also, I would have thought that mezzo chilo would equal one-half Kg or 500 grams. Do I misunderstand, or did you mis-type?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I mistyped :oops: : mezzo chilo = 1/2 Kg = 500 grams

Hecto or hecta (symbol h) is a prefix in the metric system denoting a factor of one hundred (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hecto). In Italian it becomes etto

1 decagrammo = 10 grammi (is used in some villages in Veneto region)
1 etto(grammo) = 100 grammi
1 chilo = 10 etti = 1000 grammi
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Well, at least it makes sense now. :)
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Boy does your mind wander...salami and prosciutto? LOL!

Alicia

PS- Its yummy! Just got a kick out of the question
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

1 Pound is not exactly 500 grams but is actually 454 grams. So that when your in Italy and ask for mezzo kilo you will be paying for 50 more grams than a pound. =Peter=
~Peter~
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Post by legnoduro »

To be very accurate 1 avoirdupois pound is equal to exactly 453.59237 grams, but whose counting? :wink: