Finding Italian Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
drrainaldi

Finding Italian Military Records

Post by drrainaldi »

Hello. I could use a little more help if there is anyone willing to assist me. You've all been wonderful with help in the past and I really appreciate all the information you've given me.

I'm searching for information on my Grandfather, Luigi Venanzio Rainaldi, DOB 3 May 1882. He immigrated to the US in 1898, was naturalized in 1905, returned to Italy in 1906 to pick up a cousin, and was transcripted into the Italian Army when he got off of the boat in Italy. He returned to the US in 1907 and I'm not sure how he got out of the army. I know that he was ill when he finally arrived in the US, recovered, and lived out his life in Beaver County, near Pittsburgh, PA.

(I also recently sent to the US SS administration for his SS application.)

Is there anyway that I can get copies of his military records in Italy. He was originally from Pescocostanza, L'Aquila. Unfortunately, birth records are missing from Pescocostanza for the period of his birth and I am trying to confirm his birth parents names.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide. -Leslie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Finding Italian Military Records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Address for state archives L'Acquila:

Archivio di Stato di L'Acquila
Piazza della Repubblica 9
67100 Aquila
Italy

E-Mail: as-aq@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)

Web: http://www.archiviodistatolaquila.beniculturali.it/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

Thank you so much. I will send out a letter today. -Leslie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I notice that the website actually has a different mailing address than the other site ( http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... %5C'AQUILA )I looked at:

Archivio di Stato dell'Aquila
Zona Industriale di Bazzano, Via G. Galilei, 2
67100 L'Aquila
Italy

I can't say with certainty which is the more current but I believe it may be this one. Either way, I think you can be sure the local post office will deliver it to the correct location.
Carmine

drrainaldi

Post by drrainaldi »

Thanks again. The letter is written, address is corrected, stamped, and ready to go out tomorrow morning. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets a response. Have a good day! -Leslie