Tracing Marcelli family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dforaker

Tracing Marcelli family

Post by dforaker »

I have recently been trying to research my family history and I don't know how to search international records. My great grandfather came to the US in 1908 which I took from a US Census report. He was born in 1890 and was 18 when he came to the US. I have not been able to find any immigration records and I would really like to find some kind of birth certificate or record to learn more about him and his family. His name was Alfred Marcelli (maybe short for Alfredo) and I know that he was from somewhere aroung Rome. Can anyone tell offer a good starting place? Thanks,
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Tracing Marcelli family

Post by ptimber »

There is an alfredo marcelli from teramo who arrived in 1907 at age 14 making him born 1893. This is about it for published ellis island data. if you are sure about the age upon arrival and his birth year then we will have to go back to the drawing boards for somemissing manifests but why reinvent the wheel at this point? Just get back to me asap before some goody two shoes decides to go looking and confuses the issue. Peter
dforaker

Post by dforaker »

I am not enirely sure that is him. I am pretty sure of his birth date, but I guess it wouldn't be the first time someone lied about their age because that would have made him 18 when he arrived. I guess I just don't know how to confirm whether that was him or not.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

if he is deceased and died after 1963 there is a death record for him in the social securityh death index. Also if he was 18 when he arrived at 18 did he later register for the draft for WW1? Did he become a naturalized citizen and where di d he reside in those early years of the census?? peter
NicLea

Post by NicLea »

Where near Rome did he come from?

Nick
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Nick if he knew he would not be as vague as saying "somewhere around Rome". Your judgement is off. peter
dforaker

Post by dforaker »

Thanks for the help, maybe I will have to try to talk to some other distant relatives to see if they can give any more information. He has been so hard to trace because he was not issued a social security number and before a 1930 census, I can not find any record of him. (I thought it was weird that I could not find any military records of him.) I have also tried to find a marriage license when he was married in 1918; and no one knows the maiden name of his wife. My great grandma claims her birth records were destroyed in a fire.) Its like they did not want anyone to find out about their past. I have a membership to Ancestry as well and everything comes up blank. Thanks so much,
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did a name check on Ancestry.com and he is listed as being in Lake Luzerne (Pennsylvania) but I do not have a subscription so give it a try for Alfredo marcelli with or without age 18 or year of birth. Peter
NicLea

Post by NicLea »

Did he have any brothers or sisters?
Nick
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I think Hamilton Ohio may be the place he resided since there seems to be relatives there. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Alfred (not Alfredo) Marcelli born about 1890 resided in hamilton, ohio. Pick up the remainder from 1930 census at ancestry. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I did some checking and found that an Alfred Marcelli born 1890 was residing in Cincinnati, Ohio at 241 May Street and is listed as an insurance agent. i hope this fits. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you e-mail licensing@ins.state.oh.us and ask for copy of his original application for license to sell insurance in Ohio it may give you info you need. You can call 614-644-2665. Peter