Immigrants to south america

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kevynne

Immigrants to south america

Post by kevynne »

Are there passenger lists of immigrants to South America from 1860 +. my Pettoni family were from northern Italy, and it is thought that they were living in Argentina sometime . Which city did the Italians mainly settle Where would I find the census Thanks for help.
kevynne
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Immigrants to south america

Post by PeterTimber »

Sorry that you had to wait for assistance. There are 3 PETTONI listed in the Argentina telephone directory at www.paginasblancas.com.ar

There is a listing for the arrival of 1 PETTONI (no more information) arriving in Argentina. The year is unknown.
=Peter=
~Peter~
JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JScanio »

Hi Kevynne,

I know a lot of the immigrants went to Mendoza, but that wasn't the sole location for Italian immigrants to settle in.

Do you know what occupation they were in? My husbands grandparents were farmers and had experience with grapes and wine in Italy, which is what they ended up doing for a living in Mendoza.

Aside from their huge wine industry, Mendoza also underwent a huge irrigation & agricultural project in planting and rearing vegetation.

Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be of any major assistance.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is an 1869 and 1895 National Argentina census available online at www.familysearchlabs.org

When you get on that website, go to records search. Then go to browse our collections and click on the map for South America. You will see what Argentina records are currently online there.