Can someone explain first, second, third,removed cousins?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Can someone explain first, second, third,removed cousins?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I thought it was that simple...just adding a generation. Until my uncle threw in the "once removed" clause. I dont understand that and it seems confusing. Can anyone explain it simply? My children just met my first cousins. And I introduced them as 2nd cousins. My Uncle said they are not second but once removed. I dont get it.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Can someone explain first, second, third,removed cousins

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Hey, Alicia - check out this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_cousin
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thanks Carmine. Its still a little fuzzy but the charts help. I wish I can print them out but when I copy and paste they turn into just a paragraph with text and I lose the graph.

But my Uncle was right. My kids and my cousins kids are first cousin once removed. The article even stated that second cousins and first cousin once removed are the one's most likely to be used incorrectly and confuse the two.

Alicia
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Because your children are of a different generation than your cousin they are called "removed". Your 1st cousin's children and your children would be 2nd cousins. In the same way that the children of your grandfather's brother would be a 1st cousin to your parent, yet a 1st cousin once removed to you, and likewise a 1st cousin twice removed to your children.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Oh yes thats right. My 1st cousin and my children are 1st once removed. But once my 1st cousin has his own children, those kids and mine will be 2nd. Past that...its too damn confusing, lol!

Alicia
tessy21

Post by tessy21 »

Hi Alicia.....Tessy21
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Lets talk through email. I have much info on the Passaro's and you seem to have a lot of stuff I dont have :)

Alicia
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Alicia. I had luck doing a print screen for the first chart and if you click on the "how to use" on the 2nd chart you will find you can save that chart as a png file. Prints nicely once saved to your picture files.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I managed to get it printed in a nice chart. I dont know how, but I some how did it :)

Alicia