Is this a name?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Is this a name?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

On a certificate it is listed as a wife or mother is "Meluzza". Is that a first name, a maiden name or something with a different meaning?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Is this a name?

Post by liviomoreno »

Without seeing the certificate I would say it is a surname, however there are non entries with this surname in the Italian White Pages
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thanks Livio. I dont have the actual certificate. I was told by someone that is what it says but I dont know what to make of it. Is it Melissa in Italian maybe? If I can get the document Ill post it so you can look at it

Alicia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Melissa is a first name. Meluzza could be a nickname but I doubt they would put it on a certificate...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ill have to see if I can get my hands on the certificate to make sense of it. I have another question. Amalafede is a frazioni of Stella Cilento. Ive contacted Stella several times for birth records with no luck. Am I supposed to be contacting Amalafede instead. Its so small I thought they wouldnt keep records. But that is whats listed on American documents as birth town.

Alicia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You may write directly to the Mayor, in Italian
The address is

Antonio Radano - Sindaco
Comune di Stella Cilento
Via Madonna di Fatima
84070 Stella Cilento SA
Italy

or you may email the Ufficio di Stato civile, in Italian,
ragioneria.stella @ tiscali.it, the responsible mgr is Francesco Lerro
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

How would I say:

Hello Sir. Im contacting you because Ive requested a birth certificate for my great grandmother, ****, 3 times in the last 4 months and havent received a response yet. Can you please send me the birth certificate of ***** whose birthdate is *****. Her father is **** and mother is *****. She was born in Amalafede. She was married to ****
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

DeFilippis78 wrote:How would I say:

Hello Sir. Im contacting you because Ive requested a birth certificate for my great grandmother, ****, 3 times in the last 4 months and havent received a response yet. Can you please send me the birth certificate of ***** whose birthdate is *****. Her father is **** and mother is *****. She was born in Amalafede. She was married to ****
Egregio Sig. Sindaco,
negli ultimi quattro mesi ho scritto 3 volte all'Ufficio di Stato Civile di codesto comune senza avere risposta.
La prego di fami avere con cortese sollecitudine l'estratto per copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di ***** nata ad Amalafede il dd/mm/yyyy. Suo padre si chiamava ****** e sua madre *******. Era sposata con ********.
Distinti saluti
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

One more thing Livio, lol! If I write a letter it goes to Mr Sindaco but if I send an email it goes to Mr Lerro?

Alicia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

You are correct
If you send an email change "Egregio Sig Sindaco" to "Egregio Sig Francesco Lerro"
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Your the best! Thanks!