Ferrara's in Bovino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Luciette

Ferrara's in Bovino

Post by Luciette »

Hi! I know Ferrara is the "Smith" of Italy. So, it's hard to narrow down any relatives. My grandfather, Anthony (Antonio) Benvenuto Ferrara came to the U.S. in 1913 with his father and mother Vincenzo Ferrara and Elvira (formerly Icolari) and siblings. They were from Bovino. My grandfather was an architect and when he had international projects, he would stop by Bovino and visit relatives. My father also went to Bovino and met them on one of these trips. I believe these trips were in the 60's and perhaps in the 70's. There were still relatives.

My question is how do I find out if there are any relatives still living there? There may still be relations of Icolari there, as well. (Apparently the Icolari's were of the upper middle class, while my great grandfather was of the lower class).
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ferrara's in Bovino

Post by ricbru »

Hello and welcome to the forum,
you can start to find there is any Ferrara and Icolari using italian white pages

http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

after that, you can start to write letters (only in italian) to everyone, and attach to each letter, an self address stamped envelope, so they would reply with no cost from their pockets.

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Luciette

Post by Luciette »

Grazie!
jeanneicolari

Post by jeanneicolari »

Hi!
I just found your post from 2010! I am an Icolari here in NY and was wondering if you found any more information on finding family in Italy. I recently got interested in the Icolari Bovino connection as there is an Icolari in NJ whose family appears to have been from Bovino.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jeanne Icolari
Luciette

Post by Luciette »

I have through Ancestry.com, but haven't gotten very far. I think my great-grandmother's brother came to the USA, his name was Ernest (Ernesto). I don't think anyone else did. My great-grandmother was married when she came over, so she would not have been listed under Icolari, but her married name, Ferrara. I've hit a brick wall on Ancestry regarding the Icolaris. I don't know how common Icolari is in Bovino so it may be the same Icolaris. I know my great grandmother, Elvira, came from upper middle class. What about your family? What information have you gleaned?