Asiago questions

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Asiago questions

Post by hollynwillis »

Thanks for reading,
I am trying to research my family roots and I have found that we are most likely from Asaigo. I came across something saying:
Contrade & Frazioni of the Asiago Comune
The localities of the Asiago Comune consist of: Asiago, Ave, Balde, Bertigo, Bischofarn, Bortune, Bosco, Buscar, Chiesa di Sasso, Clama, Ebene, Pènnar, Rodeghieri-Rigoni-Podesta-Costa, San Domenico, Valle Vescovi, Bortoni-Camplan, Busa, Buscar, Caporai di Sasso, Cassordar, Coda, Gianesoni-Cotti di Sasso, Grulli di Sasso, Guardinalti, Kaberlaba, Laiten, Làmara, Linta, Longhini, Melar, Morar, Mosele, Oba, Oe-lar, Orkentaal, Ospedale Civile, Osservatorio Astrofisico, Prudegar, Roncalto, Rutzar, Santa Maria Maddalena, Schacher, Schbanz, Stocke, Taal, Tulle, Untargeicke, & Zocchi

Does this mean that there is a city name Mosele in Asiago? My family name is Mosele so I am hoping that my assumption is true. Thanks for helping!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Asiago questions

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Within or on the outskirts of Comune di Asiago (the city/town of Asiago), there is a frazione (village/neighborhood; literally, a "fraction") named Mosele (possibly Mosele-Gaiga).

In some parts of the US, we might call this an "unincorporated area." See this Wikipedia entry on frazioni: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frazione
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

Thanks, if this is a so called unincorporated area where would I request vital records from?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Frazioni are tied to their associated comuni. Hence, you would request records from Comune di Asiago.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

Thank you so much :)
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

I am having trouble finding info on where or who to ask for records in Asiago. I have seen a letter you send to the people with the surname in the town to ask if they are part of your family, but I do not know how to address the letter. If anybody can help me I would appreciate it.
Thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The Italian telephone directory lists many Mosele's in Asiago; see http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... siago&ind=

Using the first entry as an example, you would address your letter like this:

Surname FirstName (or FirstName Surname)
Via S. Domenico, 21
36012 ASIAGO VI
ITALY

Does this answer your question?

If you want to write to the comune to request birth/death/marriage certificates, use:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Asiago
Piazza Secondo Risorgimento, 6
36012 ASIAGO VI
ITALY

You can try emailing the comune at servizidemografici@comune.asiago.vi.it (remove the spaces)
Carmine

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

I have experienced that most of civil and church records were destroyed during WW1.
Something can be found at Bassano del Grappa state archive, Vicenza state Archive and Diocesis of Padova.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

Johnnyonthespot that answers my question thank you. I feel like it was such a silly question but I was confused so thank you.

Ricbru also thank you I will also look into that state archive.

Thans again for everybody helping me in my journey.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

it is our pleausure, we are here to help, ciao Riccardo
bcunico

Post by bcunico »

I too have MOSELE ancestors from Asiago (sopranome GAIGAR). I do genealogy work for all Asiaghesi names. Please tell me more about your MOSELE family.
hollynwillis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollynwillis »

bcunico wrote:I too have MOSELE ancestors from Asiago (sopranome GAIGAR). I do genealogy work for all Asiaghesi names. Please tell me more about your MOSELE family.
Bcunico I am looking for info on my gggpa Andre mosele. We believe from asaigo and born in 1843/44, although we have other info we found saying he may have been born in 1856. His fathers name was stefano and mother was either domenica pastel lol or Antoinette simko? We can not find much info on either parents and all I'd different. When Andrea came to the USA he changed his name to Andrew mosell. He lived in Illinois and Montana. The only other info I have is he grew grapes, was a junk dealer and possibly owned a saloon. If you could help with anything I would greatly appreciate it! I did receive some info saying he may be from cervarese Santa Croce but I have no idea what that is or where. Thank you so much!!!