Vital chek and marriage certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Vital chek and marriage certificate

Post by DeFilippis78 »

When getting a certified copy do you put the town the license was drawn up in or the town of actual marriage. I sent this question to Vitalchek but just like all the other questions I ever sent them, no one answers! I would ask NJ vital records but same thing...no one answers emails or the phone :roll:
troycjaco

Re: Vital chek and marriage certificate

Post by troycjaco »

i dont think i understand. Did they get married in a church? because if so the church does all your licensing for you i believe. In that case you put where you were married not where you were licensed.

if not, i think you should do the town where the license was drawn up in. I dont really know, but i think you would be pritty safe considering that thats the town where all the legalities of the marraige were dealt with.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

They were married in a church but you cant give a consulate a church document. It has to be from the state. But they applied for a license in one town but married in another. It asks on Vitalchek the town of license but Im afraid nothing will show up since they didnt marry in that town

Alicia
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Alicia,
I believe, in Conn., you must apply for the license in the town where you plan to marry. Once married, the marrying official certifies the act for the town official and that is where you would get the certified copy of the marriage.
I hope I understood your question. If not, I apologize.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Actually to clarify, Im speaking of myself. I got a license where I was living but married in a catholic church in my husbands town. So now Im not sure what town to put when getting a certified copy. Its confusing. I guess every state is different. Both towns are in Jersey though.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mishy »

I'm from NJ, and my certified marriage certificate is from the town where my marriage took place, not where I got my license. Hope this helps.