Leone Marciano Passalacqua Alamia Romano Buffa Cataldo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Leone Marciano Passalacqua Alamia Romano Buffa Cataldo

Post by JamesBianco »

Surnames from Carini, Sicily.
I would love to hear from any others who have these names from Carini.

Thanks!
Jim Bianco
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Leone Marciano Passalacqua Alamia Romano Buffa Cataldo

Post by ptimber »

Isn't this town your website? Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Yes it is, my Maternal grandmother's lines are all from Carini.

Jim Bianco
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What can I do to assist? peter
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

Jim

If you're still interested...My Paternal Grandmother's family (Pellerito) was from Carini and we had cousins in Philadelphia named Passalacqua...I don't know much about them...just that they imported olive oil, salami, cheese. etc from Sicily. I believe it was Charlie Passalacqua who actually traveled to Palermo to do the buying. We also had connections to Buffa, though I don't know exactly what they were. My father's cousin came in from Carini and went to meet Francesco Buffa at 821 Christian Street, Phila...My father came over a year later and went to - guess where?.........821 Christian St. So you might have pretty good luck searching the Philadelphia archives. There are other connections I believe my family has to Buffa....but I'm waiting to read the rest of your extractions...;0)

Not much help, was I?
Angelina
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Hello Angelina, I have Pellerito ancestry in Carini. Have you checked out my Carini site? www.cariniexchange.com

There are many resources to explore, including two forums dedicated to the families of the town.

If you are interested in tracing your ancestry backward post some details and I will see what can be found.

Best to you
Jim Bianco
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

my father - Pietro Candela born 11/11/1900 in Corleone...
His Father Antonino Candela....no other info
His Mother Serafina Pellerito....no other info
His Grandfather Nicolo Pellerito of Carini....no other info

I'm assuming (not always wise, is it) that Serafina of Carini married Antonino of Corleone. (My father's marriage license says Serfa but we are pretty well convinced the priest erred. Pietro eventually inherited lemon groves in Carini...He told me there were two families who owned the groves. I don't know if the other family was his half-sister Anna's or her husband's or what. Back in the mid '50's he returned to Carini and sold his property to (I believe) the other family which I thought was his sister's.

Strange but one of the few things I remember him telling me was that they had the only blue house in Carini.

I've been trying to read the documents on your website but I have great difficulty reading them and don't speak, read, or understand much italian, and Sicilian even less.

If you read the posts under 'unable to locate port of entry' re: Pietro....this is the same person.

Anything you can find would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks Jim...

Angie
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

eyetalgal wrote:my father - Pietro Candela born 11/11/1900 in Corleone...
His Father Antonino Candela....no other info
His Mother Serafina Pellerito....no other info
His Grandfather Nicolo Pellerito of Carini....no other info

I'm assuming (not always wise, is it) that Serafina of Carini married Antonino of Corleone. (My father's marriage license says Serfa but we are pretty well convinced the priest erred. Pietro eventually inherited lemon groves in Carini...He told me there were two families who owned the groves. I don't know if the other family was his half-sister Anna's or her husband's or what. Back in the mid '50's he returned to Carini and sold his property to (I believe) the other family which I thought was his sister's.

Strange but one of the few things I remember him telling me was that they had the only blue house in Carini.

I've been trying to read the documents on your website but I have great difficulty reading them and don't speak, read, or understand much italian, and Sicilian even less.

If you read the posts under 'unable to locate port of entry' re: Pietro....this is the same person.

Anything you can find would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks Jim...

Angie
Hello, If you want to know Antonio Candela and Serafina Pellerito age and job at time of their son birth contact

Municipio
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Garibaldi, 1
90034 Corleone (PA)
Itlay

you can also request of cemetery records of your ancestors, knowing at least their date of birth, contacting the cemetery of Corleone

Cimitero
Via Guardia
90034 Corleone (PA)

I hope it helps, bye ricbru :lol:
Leathab

Post by Leathab »

That 821 Christian Street seems to have been a boarding house as many people passed through....Nicola Cotellessa did after he arrived from Lanciano, Italy...he was to stay there, as did an older uncle who he was named for....who arrived a year earlier, and also stayed in that same address.
(Listed on the Ellisisland.org website....alternate spellings Cotelessa...

Must have been a popular place in Philly.