Passport application - notarized request

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Faina

Passport application - notarized request

Post by Faina »

For the purpose of a genealogical reserch, on the beginning of last May I wrote a letter to the Department oF State in Washinghton, asking a copy of my great-grandfather passport application as third party.
The sent me a reply asking a NOTARIZED REQUEST and payment of fees through America Bank check or international money order.

What is exactly a NOTARIZED REQUEST?
Is maybe a certified letter for the municipality of residence? or is necessary a notary public?

For fee payment (the do not accept a Western Union money order), have someone some suggestion to help me? I am trying to find a way to pay these fee, but I had no success till now.

Thanks for your help
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Passport application - notarized request

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Would you mind telling us your great-grandfather's full name, date (or just year) of birth, place of birth, and place of residence in the US?

Possibly we can find his passport application online at ancestry . com or another site.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

As to your other questions:

In the United States, we have a process called "Notarizing" which is performed by a "Notary Public", a person who is licensed (usually) by a state government. You bring a document to a "Notary Public", present identification (driver's license, passport, etc, in the US - possibly passport or carta d'identita' in Italy) to and then sign the document while the Notary Public watches. Next, the Notary Public stamps the document, signs his or her own name, and embosses a raised seal over the signature.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notary_public

I know there is a similar process in Italy, but I have forgotten the name. You are in Italy, correct? If not, then where?

For payment, you can possibly purchase an international money order at a post office or bank...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Faina

Post by Faina »

My great-grandfather name was Domenico (first name) Onofri (last name). yoy can find him also as Dominich or Dominick.
He was born in Montefiascone, ITALY on Nov. 12, 1887 and dead in May 1956.
In US he lived in Grand Rapids(MI) - 1520 44th ST., S.W.
His passport number was USC 203023. He was naturalized on Feb. 17, 1949 nad came to Italy in 1950. So, he obtained his passport probably between these 2 yaers.
Thanks
Faina

Post by Faina »

Thank you.

Yes, I am from Italy and we have a "notarizing" process similar to the US one. I will try to follow this way.
Do you think that an international money order through postal service could be OK? I asked to my post office which instruments they had and they have a similar instrument, but can be collected only to another US post office. Do you think that it could be ok?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Sorry, I do not see his passport application on ancestry . com. However, I did find what I believe is the ship's manifest for his tripo to the US:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Domenico Onofri
Name: Domenico Onofri
Arrival Date: 12 May 1911
Birth Year: abt 1887
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: montefiancone
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Venezia

I can post the actual document if you would like to see it.

Also, if you are interested, I can give you information on how to obtain copies of his naaturalization/citizenship records.

I am not certain about the international money order. Perhaps someone else here can assist.
Carmine

Faina

Post by Faina »

Thank you very much!
Yes, if you can, I would like to see the actual documents you found.

For what concern the naturalization documents, I sent a request for his C-File copy to USCIS. I am waitinf their reply.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

See Line 30 near the bottom of the page:

Manifest, page 1: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... tpage1.jpg

Manifest, page 2: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... tpage2.jpg
Carmine

Faina

Post by Faina »

Thank you Jonnyonthespot for your help.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Faina, I don't believe the Department of State in Washington will accept a Notarized Request originated by an Italian Notary. I think you should go to the US Consulate in Italy and ask them...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

liviomoreno wrote:Faina, I don't believe the Department of State in Washington will accept a Notarized Request originated by an Italian Notary. I think you should go to the US Consulate in Italy and ask them...
Excellent advice. The consulate may be able to advise how to make payment also.
Carmine

Faina

Post by Faina »

Thanks, I live in ROme and I can go to the US Consulate.
Do you think I need an appointment?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Faina wrote:Thanks, I live in ROme and I can go to the US Consulate.
Do you think I need an appointment?
Una telefonata non nuoce...