Costanzo family in Adami

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elalvarez

Costanzo family in Adami

Post by elalvarez »

My father's family came from Adami. My grandfather was Bruno Costanzo and my grandmother was Antonia or Antonette Adamo Costanzo. I'm not sure how to go about getting information about my grandparents' family or information about Adami. I would like to visit Adami next year and would appreciate any information about where the town is, if it has accommodations and how to drive there. So many questions! Thank you.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Costanzo family in Adami

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to this forum-
could you please provide some details about your grandparents so that those of us on this forum can help you to locate some additional information about them. Did they immigrate to the U.S.? where did they settle? do you know about what years they were born?, etc.

Adami is a frazione or hamlet of the town of Decolattura in the province of Cataranzo in the Calabria region. It's 831 meters above sea level and has 131 residents.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/calabr ... adami.html
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/POI- ... 08106.html

There are no hotels in Adami per se or even in the town of Decolattura of which Adami is a part. Looks like your nearest town is Lamezia Terme.
elalvarez

Post by elalvarez »

Thank you so much for your reply.

Here's my family's history as I know it. My grandfather was Bruno Costanzo. My grandmother was Antonia/Antoinnete (different names on different documents) Adamo Costanzo. She was born on May 11, 1978 in Decollatura. My grandparents were married on June 3 1899. My father was Angelo Costanzo born 11/6/1916 in Decollatura as were his older sister Angela Maria (2/12/1914) and brother,Salvatore (12/23/18). There were two older brothers, Saverio and Joseph and an older sister, Mary. Mary got married and moved to Argentina and had a daughter, Archangela. My grandfather, Bruno, came to the States and was naturalized in 1903. I believe that Saverio came with him. He moved to Chicago and traveled back and forth to Italy. My grandmother, Antoinette, my father, Angelo and Angela Maria and Salvatore, immigrated to the States in 1926 (I think). I believe the ship was the Queen Elizabeth II.

That's all I have. Thanks so much for your help.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

elalvarez wrote:My grandmother, Antoinette, my father, Angelo and Angela Maria and Salvatore, immigrated to the States in 1926 (I think). I believe the ship was the Queen Elizabeth II.
they arrived in the port of New York on November 1925:

from Ancestry.com:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Antonia Adamo
Name: Antonia Adamo
Arrival Date: 8 Nov 1925
Birth Year: abt 1878
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Dante Alighieri
Search Ship Database: Search the Dante Alighieri in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVn9M6J

Antonia was travelling with her chidlren Angelina, female, age 11, Angelo, male age 9 and Salvatore, male age 6. Joining her husband Bruno Costanzo living on 1322 Elburne Avenue Chicago.

and for references the 1930 census from the same site:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Costanzo Bruno
Name: Costanzo Bruno
[Bruno Costanzo]
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Antoinette H
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Costanzo Bruno 45
Antoinette H Bruno 42
Saverio Bruno 24
Joe Bruno 18
Angelina Bruno 17
Angelo Bruno 14
Salvatore Bruno 11

image:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Ts6zr9J

Laura
elalvarez

Post by elalvarez »

Laura, Thank you so much. So interesting and exciting! Elaine
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Elaine!
Have you tried writing to possible family to find out if you have any 'cousins' in Adami or Decollatura?
Many folks have had success with the following letter.
(remember in Italy women keep their maiden name)
Valarie

This may help you locate family currently living in Italy.

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

Form Letter to a Possible Relative
elalvarez

Post by elalvarez »

Thanks you so much for your help. This is so exciting. I am trying to find the brothers and sisters of my grandparents, Bruno Costanzo and Antonia Adamo Costanzo. I'm not sure if they immigrated as well or remained in Italy Any suggestions on how I might identify them?

Thanks, Elaine
vikvik

Post by vikvik »

Hi Elaine,

I recently began researching my great-grandparents, and I'm pretty sure my great-grandfather Saverio (Sam) Costanzo is Bruno's older brother. He was born in Adami, Italy around 1886, and immigrated to Omaha, Nebraska around 1905. He was following his brother Guiseppe (Joseph) who was born around 1888 and immigrated to Omaha, NE around 1904. Saverio was a barber and Joseph was a tailor who worked for his in-laws. My mom says she thinks that he had a younger brother and 1-2 sisters in Italy. We don't really know much about their extended family. I would love to trade info, and figure out if they were related.

PS. There are two Costanzo families in Omaha, NE and they are not related.
elalvarez

Post by elalvarez »

Hi VikVik,

What a surprise go hear from another Costanzo. I only have one uncle who is still alive. My Uncle Sam (Salvatore) immigrated here when he was a small boy and does not remember anything about Adami. He said that my grandfather, Bruno, did not talk about other family member so there is a huge information gap. My daugher and I will be traveling to Italy this summer and are planning to go to Adami. It is a REALLY small place, pop. 131. It is in a kind of remote area. There are tons of Costanzos around Naples and the Amalfi coast. In fact, there is even a San Costanzo.

The dates regarding births and immigration seem to coincide with my grandfather's information. Could be that they were related. Let me know what information you want and I'll see if I have it.

Thanks for your response,
Elaine
elalvarez

Post by elalvarez »

Hi, I visited Adami this summer with my daughter. It is the village where my father was born. The village is very small with many abandoned buildings. But it was lovely. We met many of the town people and spoke to them in my minimal Italian. The church is beautiful. The surrounding area is wooded and hilly. This was a very special experience. If anyone wants more information, please contact me.